Safety first - Fish Plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I just want to mention something on here, but I seem to be seeing quite a few builds with no fish plates on the butt welded areas of frames. [S[S

I'm pretty certain that safety wise, and even in the frame repair business, all butt welds require fish plates to strengthen the area.

I know we had a thread prior talking about shape and length of the fish plates as well, but I looked at probably 4 or 5 build threads today and there were no plates... please stay safe guys and add in some plates. [;)[;)

And please, correct me if I've made an error....

On a 90 degree butt weld on a frame or piece of stock to an adjacent piece of stock yes a fish plate is and should be used. If the frame rail is cut on a 45 and the adjacent rail is also cut on a 45 you can use a fish plate if desired but it is not needed. Always remember to grind the two ajoining pieces of stock to get a better and wide weld penetration.

When stretching semi frames for longer bodies or longer wheel bases we cut on a 45 or even more to get at least 1 and a half times the weld area versus a 90 degree cut.

I just want to mention something on here, but I seem to be seeing quite a few builds with no fish plates on the butt welded areas of frames. [S[S

I'm pretty certain that safety wise, and even in the frame repair business, all butt welds require fish plates to strengthen the area.

I know we had a thread prior talking about shape and length of the fish plates as well, but I looked at probably 4 or 5 build threads today and there were no plates... please stay safe guys and add in some plates. [;)[;)

And please, correct me if I've made an error....

I agree on safety first, but being a new guy I guess I could use some more information about what exactly "fish plates" are... pictures would be very helpful!

You meen like these? We cut them in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

agussett.jpg

Well, maybe pictures won't help. :rolleyes:

Like RPM showed, you weld a plate over the weld seam of the side of a frame rail to re-enforce the weld.

I am a fan of gussets. The upper part of my kick is gusseted. the lower portion is wrapped with a 3/16 inside box plate for about a foot on inner frame rail.

Just don't put your gusset in the middle of the tubing. It needs to be on the edge of the rectangular tubing. If you put it away from the edge it will cause flexing and break the tubing.

The panhard bar mount is getting a gusset as well on the differential end.

gold03

Attachments

• tacked together2.jpg
    tacked together2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Back