San Diego newbie :)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksdad

Just arrived and managed to cause a stir already:eek:
Looks like RRR is every bit as good as it's reputation, and I very much appreciate all the welcomes I got since I joined. Born in the UK, and moved to the States 20 years ago, settling in SoCal. Been a gearhead since birth thanks to my Dad, and now I'm passing it on to my 10 year old so he can spend the rest of his life busting knuckles for a good cause. His mig welding is already pretty impressive.
Just got out of a place where we forbidden to work on anything, so all our projects have unfortunately been on hold for way too long. Good news is the new place has a nice big garage, thick (soundproof) walls, and a washer/dryer outlet that'll let me use my tig. Some shop lights, a fresh coat of white paint on the walls, shelves/cabinets for my tools, a workbench, and now we're good to go. First priority is to free up some space, so a transmission for my '67 Charger will let us start using her again. My kid and I have talked about building a rod/rat rod for a while, and now we have somewhere to work. Hey, we've started to build him a mini dwarf racing truck based on a '38 Austin American - does that count? :)

dwarf

yep, the dwarf is cool :D

l made mine street legal, but due to health problems, had to sell it.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• dwarf car 028.jpg
    dwarf car 028.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
  • dwarf car 029.jpg
    dwarf car 029.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 9
  • dwarf car 030.jpg
    dwarf car 030.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 8
  • dwarf car 031.jpg
    dwarf car 031.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 8
  • dwarf car 036.jpg
    dwarf car 036.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 10
Yep, that's me :)
Cool dwarf car. A street legal one must be fun - those things come out of the corners on a dirt track like a rocket, even with less than ideal traction. On tarmac, they must be a blast. Since my kid and I have been going to our local track, I've been considering picking one up and doing a bit of racing myself.
My kid's mini dwarf will have the single cylinder clone motor, and should give him a feel for the track and get him ready for a faster class - maybe junior sprints. I'll post a pic of the chassis if I can find it. Now he's started hinting that I should build him a junior dragster too...

Enjoy the site with the rest of us [cl
Thanks - much appreciated :)

Skull - found the pic of my kid's chassis. When we get the sheetmetal on it, it'll be based on a late 30s American Austin truck. My son wants to name it the "Lil Red Rooster" after his late Grandpa's '32 Austin Bantam Altered. It'll have the same red and white paint job too (I'm using my Dad's car as my avatar).
Thankfully it'll get sheetmetal. I'm old school and this was my first attempt at mig welding small diameter tubing, and it was a sobering experience to find that many hundreds of hours of gas welding doesn't really prepare you for it. On the plus side, the pretty weld/bird poop ratio improved fast enough that I didn't give up and drag out the oxyacetylene and distort the heck out of it.
Now you've done it - he wants to make his mini dwarf street legal.

LilRedRoostersmall.jpg

Last edited:
dwarf on the street

Jacksdad'' Now you've done it - he wants to make his street legal.''

just doin' my part to corrupt the youth of america [ddev

Later :D

Latest posts

Back