Sandblasting Safety

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea Laking

Colonel Sam's City-Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Curious what all you rodders are using for breathing protection when blasting? I've tried Google, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there...[S

I checked out a "sandblasting hood" at Princess Auto (like Harbour Freight here in Canada) the thing looks to me like it would be useless... Just a big hood to cover your head with a glass plate in front. I'd feel a whole lot safer wearing a respirator type filter mask and goggles that actually seal to your face.

I understand that a fan and open window to draw the dust out will be helpful as will limited exposure time.

I have a small project to do-the metal framework/springs for a very old baby carriage-my paternal Grandmother rode in it, it's over 100 years old.:)

Any thoughts or advice you folks can offer would be appreciated. I'd like to do this myself, however if proper safety equipment is too expensive I will farm it out. I'd prefer to avoid health problems by improper work practises.

Regards,
Shea:)

Your idea is the best, goggles and respirator under the hood. Silica sand is NOT a good choice either, though one of the cheapest, it causes silicosis. Crushed flint is relatively cheap and as aggressive if you can find it. The safer media like walnut shells, soda etc., are probably not aggressive enough to remove rust.

I understand that a fan and open window to draw the dust out will be helpful as will limited exposure time.

I hope you're not doing this indoors. Besides the great clouds of dust, your great grandchildren will be finding sand to remember you by. :D

For 10 bucks, I'd give it a shot. How intricate is the work? If it has fine details or (god forbid) white metal, it may be too aggressive. Test on something similar and disposable, proceed with caution...

I bought the sand blasting attachment for my pressure washer at Princess Auto. It works great! No dust. Just wear safety goggles.

Gold03

Do not sand blast inside unless you have a cabinet or want to find particles of sand in places that even the sun doesn't shine.:mad:
Use a mask designed for dust not smell.
gold03 doesn't the use of the power washer cause the metal to flash rust almost immediately. Just wondering as I have read some threads in regards to blasting frames and such this way and they all seem to mention the flash rust issue.
Torchie.

I don't know about the specific hood setup you were looking at, but some are designed for a remote air supply - pumping fresh air in under the hood from a diaphragm air compressor (oil-less). It doesn't need to supply a lot of air, just enough to keep a flow of clean air out of the hood.

I blasted on a real hot day and used compressed air to dry it off. Painted with Por15 which actually requires rust to bond.

Generally what I'm blasting is such a mess the little flash rusty I got was pretty small issue for me. Also, you can spray it down with Metal Ready. Good rust inhibitor.

The green glass is pretty fine and doesn't bite to hard. It's easy to clean up with a flap wheel.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_8520_8520

Last edited:
Do not sand blast inside unless you have a cabinet or want to find particles of sand in places that even the sun doesn't shine.:mad:
Use a mask designed for dust not smell.
gold03 doesn't the use of the power washer cause the metal to flash rust almost immediately. Just wondering as I have read some threads in regards to blasting frames and such this way and they all seem to mention the flash rust issue.
Torchie.

I agree! Earplugs are a MUST!. No matter how good you "THINK" your gear is, sand WILL find a way in!!! I'm a fan of Black Beauty for anything heavy to strip, switching to finer grades as it comes down. BUMP with the mask, smell is nothing, silicon particulates ARE!!! I use a pressurized hood......with fresh air that is....duct tape is your friend!!

Black beauty is what I use in my cabinet....

It's pretty aggressive stuff so be careful what you use it on....I can change media pretty quickly and have some silica sand and also glass bead but for the stuff I do, the black beauty normally is what I use.....outside...with the pressure pot I use a good respirator, hood, gloves, ear plugs and goggles.....the hood doesn't stop the dust....and normally the wind is never in my favor...no matter how I try to move around....lol...

U-blast places

I have tried blasting a few things at home and end up making a lot of noise and dust for the neighbors and spend almost as long cleaning up after I am done as I did blasting. We have a sandblast supplier here in town that provides sandblaster sand and equipment including air supplied helmet with tear off lenses, ear plugs etc. Each blaster has a rack for putting work on, there is a ramp for elevating a car to get at the bottom. Best thing is no clean up, no refilling sand into the blaster. Roughly $100/hr. So blasting a frame cost took about 45min ($75).... sand was supplied, safe eyes, ears and lungs, and nooooooooo clean up. Well worth it.

I used the wifes g string before. the body man neighbor next door could not quit laughing for days, lol. I also used the high school science class type goggles.

I wouldn't recommend this but it was funny.

HUH!!!!???

I used the wifes g string before.

:eek:....Gstring and goggles??? LMAO....you need one of these...the new and improved THE BOSE TREND particle mask....play your favorite music from your ipod or iphone while you filter out all that bad air......

Attachments

• bose dust mask.jpg
    bose dust mask.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back