Sanding brake shoes??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bango

I just put some new brake shoes on today. I have what I believe are later '40's backing plates as the pivot pins on the bottom are not adjustable. The shoes fit the drums very well...the arches fit right on.
When I went to put the drums back on, they were REAL tight as they were dragging on the bottoms of the front shoes and once I got the spindle nut back on I can hardly turn the wheel and I haven't even tried to adjust the brakes yet. When I turn the top adjuster nuts/cams I can't get a feel for how tight they are.
So, should I maybe sand down the shoes some so I can adjust the brakes, or drive it some and let them wear in. Anyone have an idea??
Thanks.

You can sand them, provided they are newer rebuilt shoes and not NOS with asbestos. My Model A restorers book says to do that if the new ones are too tight. Of course driving it will do the same, but you'll have to re-adjust them until they get properly worn in.

Yes, I have sanded brake shoes before but I would suggest you wear a mask to avoid inhaling any of that dust!

ISore

A good shop can do what is called arking the brake shoe to fit the drum. The drum is measured and then the shoe is set in the machine and sanded to fit. Like everything, very fast with the proper tools.

Well I pulled the drums off after rotating them a bunch of times and I could see where they were rubbing on the shoes. About 1 inch on the bottoms of the front shoes. I took them back off and I hit them lightly with a belt sander - removing about .010" of the effected area and then re-istalled. The drums fit on real nice and I was able to get them adjusted with the upper cams just fine.
Thanks for the replys.

Latest posts

Back