sarcastic rods?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
English Bob, all of the provinces here have different rules for Hot Rods...Alberta,Man. and B.C. all have bumper and fender laws but in Sask. we don't require if driven in fair weather on paved roads....but we still need a windshield wiper? and they won't pass heims here...tried,failed! and I suppose its very simular down south and like anything there's alot of GRAY area that comes to play.

if I'm going to hang out somewhere I want it to be where it's okay for people to not like me or like my ride because some where..somehow...someone will.
I mean if someone doesn't like me or like my car that's fine I expect it just be honest about it. having fun doesn't have to be all warm and fuzzy... like in Grand Torino some of the best things in life are sincere, come at you honest with a curse and a spit-o-chaw.
I have alot of respect for someone that respects me enough to come up to me and tell me what they think than I do for someone wont say it to me but says it to everyone else.

so with that being said... and since I don't know this guy and he aint around....
check out this silly skull lol...
skullfail.jpg

Lots of cars fit into the 15 minutes of fame they sprouted from, and that's about it.

A few cars are timeless, and always cool.

I'm no perfect builder by any means, but I always strive for the latter.

The epitome of this quote to me is Gastricks coupe, that car would have been cool 50 years ago, is damn sure cool today and will still be cool 50 years from now..

that skull in Torchmann's post looks like ET with buckteeth:D

Tim

Workin Class labeled them correctly.. Shock rods.. Built only for attention even if it's negative. Shock rods are not rat rods. All this has given me a idea for a mockery street or traditional rod. It will just be a huge cookie cutter on wheels. :D

I see the name "Cartoon Rod" being used more and more to describe these.

if I'm going to hang out somewhere I want it to be where it's okay for people to not like me or like my ride because some where..somehow...someone will.
I mean if someone doesn't like me or like my car that's fine I expect it just be honest about it. having fun doesn't have to be all warm and fuzzy... like in Grand Torino some of the best things in life are sincere, come at you honest with a curse and a spit-o-chaw.
I have alot of respect for someone that respects me enough to come up to me and tell me what they think than I do for someone wont say it to me but says it to everyone else.

so with that being said... and since I don't know this guy and he aint around....
check out this silly skull lol...
View attachment 52963

Thats is just a very rare sleestack scull.LMAO

Attachments

• Land of the Lost Marshall Will Holly Sleestak.jpg
    Land of the Lost Marshall Will Holly Sleestak.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 17
bad generals

There are many situations besides the military where this " truism " can be applied . There are no bad privates-just bad Generals . When a State DMV has low requirements - that's the General , the driving public -that's the privates , will only do whats required of them . Maybe we are blaming the wrong people for unsafe vehicles . Stupid people who will drive unsafe vehicles NEED the Generals to do their job properly . If a guy want's to build a cartoon vehicle and trailer it to a show and show off his handiwork , who the hell am I to say he shouldn't . The hi - dollar rods that are never driven and are stunningly perfect , are also cartoon cars , Sittin there on mirrors,on turntables,roped off with don't touch signs every where . Owners who's only input was the check , also have a place in the car world . HaHa , they usually don't want to park next too me . I once -back in my early days , said to the owner of a really fine rod ,who was parked next to a rod whos' sign board claimed it was built by Foose . " You have guts parking next too him " and he replied "no he does ". I hope rats are here to stay,at least I know mine is ,along with my skulls,bullets,handgrenade,anti establishment stickers and a rubber rat . I'm in this for the fun and when I see folks smiling as they look at my truck - with it's props , it makes me smile too .

Last edited:
1. Silence is Golden. If you don't like someone's hot rod, rat rod, junk rod, or whatever it is not a requirement that you share your opinion with the world through RRR. You can always send them a Personal Message if you really want to share your opinion with the person that matters. Some of my close friends have hot rods I don't particularily care for. It seems prudent to remain friends and not tell them that their cars are ugly. Any of you guys ever walk up to the owner of a car that "offends" you and tell him what you think??? Safer on the internet isn't it.
2. If you see something that you regard as unsafe, you can use tact when discussing it. Or, once again, PM the builder and offer your expert opinion.
3. Gastrick's Coupe is not in my opinion a Rat Rod. It is a wonderful example of a traditionally styled true hot rod built with extraordinary skill and attention to detail.
4. There are many people on RRR whose hot rods or projects may not be examples of "Rat Rods". I am here, and I believe many others are here because of the cordial tone and mutual respect the contributors have for each other.

Ok boys, this thread is your playground. Have at it. I know better that to open it again.

English Bob, all of the provinces here have different rules for Hot Rods...Alberta,Man. and B.C. all have bumper and fender laws but in Sask. we don't require if driven in fair weather on paved roads....but we still need a windshield wiper? and they won't pass heims here...tried,failed! and I suppose its very simular down south and like anything there's alot of GRAY area that comes to play.

I just mailed and inspector friend of mine and fellow Rat Rodder and he says.

Here in SK, all you need is a bill of sale, or the title to insure and tag an old vehicle. NO inspection required. Probably different there. I Know some car guys in AB. PM me if you don't have any luck, and I'll give you some names and numbers

Where did the idea that he was being sarcastic or mocking rat rods come from?
Does someone personally know this guy and is relaying what he said or what his intention was?

Remember the "Zinger" cars back in the early 70's useless as a vehicle but cool as hell to look at. I for one don't care what you do with your car, money, time and expertise just do something.

It's art and art is subjective. Seems everybody here thinks my truck is ugly including me (or used to) but it's what I have to work with and can almost afford. So I'm gonna make the best of the situation.

No in response to any post specifically..

But I just watched the lastest show of "Hot Rod, American Icon" hosted by Chip Foose (yeah, a little late, but I record them every week to watch at my leisure). One of the historians speaking on the show this week said something that makes allot of sense, and really applies to this thread. He was speaking about the many facets of, and the diversity of Hot Rodding, and I quote "We're all part of the same soup, and each person just takes the part they like from it..."

What else can ya say?

I just mailed and inspector friend of mine and fellow Rat Rodder and he says.

Here in SK, all you need is a bill of sale, or the title to insure and tag an old vehicle. NO inspection required. Probably different there. I Know some car guys in AB. PM me if you don't have any luck, and I'll give you some names and numbers

English Bob, this is true to a certain extent....It would be registered as an antique vehicle with only $800 value on it and comes with a 500 deductable...then if you want actual cash value put on it it will have to go for an inspection....plus if the RCMP pull you over (police) and you know they will, and think that it is not safe they can pull you off the road until you have a vehicle safety inspection done on it...basically build it to pass the first time saves alot of hassles later...I to have been doing this since they invented the automobile and know pretty much of what I can do and what is so Gray it's almost black...It probably easier here to get them registered but they sure have been cramping down on them around here for the past two years..Thanks for your input Bob.

I guess this is the same as many show cars in the past... basically undrivable but built to prove a point. Ummm... what the point is maybe a lil questionable but as long as they're paying for it with their own $$$... I could really care less & just move on to the next car. I caught a lot of flack when I 1st started going to shows in the ol Daytripper. I caught a lot of grief from purists & the like but it never bothered me... at all. At shows lots of people crowded around to gawk & admire & a lot just shook their heads & made unkind remarks... we've all heard them. All the time though... I was havin' the time of my life & used my own $$$ so it was really nobody's business but my own. Love it or hate it... it's something to look at & talk about. We've all seen cars like this and I'm sure that will continue & remember... sometimes just because you can doesn't always mean you should! :eek:[ddd:D

BoB

I always say live n let live, as long as they're doing something to their own car I couldn't care less and just enjoy the work done. As far as the particular car pictured at the start of this thread, looks like alot of detail for someone to just be poking fun at someone else but if that was really their intention then I'd say the jokes on them after all the work and money!
And Torchmann, I think that skull is pretty awesome!!!!

Latest posts

Back