SBC 301 Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridin Dirty

Banned
Im in the process of collecting parts for my overbored 283 to 301 .The question is that im thinking on running a low 2x4 intake with small 4GC Rochesters . Heads will be bowl and intake ported and the cam is a TRW 151 specs out at [email protected] IN [email protected] Ex .460 lift for both sides . I have two 4GC carbs one off of a 401 Buick and the other a 4GC 215 Buick . the 215 venturi look small compared to the 401 . What size carbs should I use on a aftermarket dual quad intake ? This is going into my 30 coupe with a 5 Speed stick.

What is your reason for wanting to run the Rochesters, if I can ask? I guess it might be because you already have them. Nothing inherently wrong with them, and they were used on some dual carb setups in the past (270 HP vettes come to mind), and they will give the engine a certain old timey look.

Regardless of what 2 x 4 carb setup you run, you are going to be somewhat overcarbed.........but that never stops most of us from putting them on anyway, me included. I ran 2 x 500 cfm Edelbrocks on the 302 in my 27, with straight linkage, and it ran fine.:)

Don

What is your reason for wanting to run the Rochesters, if I can ask? I guess it might be because you already have them. Nothing inherently wrong with them, and they were used on some dual carb setups in the past (270 HP vettes come to mind), and they will give the engine a certain old timey look.

Regardless of what 2 x 4 carb setup you run, you are going to be somewhat overcarbed.........but that never stops most of us from putting them on anyway, me included. I ran 2 x 500 cfm Edelbrocks on the 302 in my 27, with straight linkage, and it ran fine.:)

Don
Yes Im looking for that time period look . Plus I have a small venturi buick carb and I need one more . The carb I got is off of a 215 buick but I dont know what the CFM is and I think I can run two of these . And for the other guy why cant you run a 5 speed behind a chevy ? A chevy is a chevy !!!!!!!!

Love those chevy small block 302cu. in. motor's.
sucp_0903_31_z_302_small_block_chev.jpg

i think there's 2 different 302's being talked about.....don's IS a ford...of course the other one is not......
and my ? now is how much do you have to bore a 283 to get the 301/302 size

To get a 283 to 301ci you have to bore the block .125 over. most 283's can take it. Im not sure if my 1967 block will or not yet. There must be a way to tell if you can other than sonic testing?

Latest posts

Back