sbc exhaust manifold or headers ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bears 38

I built my '49 chevy truck with fuel milage in mind (somewhat) , the engine is a basicly stock 350 with mild rv cam and Q-jet carb. Big K&N air filter , 700r4 and 3.08 gears , 27" tall rear tires . I wanted to use my corvette 2 1/2" ram horn manifolds but could'nt get them to fit with my steering shaft so I had to go with some smaller ram horn's - driver side has the angled back dump. These have a smallish opening on the exit side . My question is would I get enough (if any) improvement to make it worth while to switch these manifolds out and run a block hugger style headers ?

I'll be the devils advocate and say since your main concern or what I understand your main concern to be is mileage I'd go with the manifolds. I'd run 2.5" exhaust after them. The reason? I don't think you'd get enough gain out of block huggers (not like a longer runner tuned header) to be worth it not to mention the leaking header gaskets which almost ALWAYS happens either at the head or the collector. Just an opinion though.

Regards,

Rev. D.

is it worth it ?

Thanks guys for replying , my main thought was the money I would have to spend to get the exhaust redone and then mess with header gaskets and all of that stuff. If I would'nt see enough of an improvement to make it worth while then I will probably stay with the little manifolds that almost never leak. They're not as racey looking as headers but the way this heap is geared its not racey anyway - AND it will get me a speeding ticket on the interstate without much coaxing ! I know - I've seen it happen already !!!

I hope its ok for me to get in on this discussion.

I am building a 27 Tudor sedan on what is pretty much a T bucket chassis and the old ram horns are awfully colse to the frame rails and i still have to run brake lines on the inside of the frame.

Question is do block huggers suck inward towards the engine more so than ram horns?????

anybody know?

great site by the way.

I hope its ok for me to get in on this discussion.

I am building a 27 Tudor sedan on what is pretty much a T bucket chassis and the old ram horns are awfully colse to the frame rails and i still have to run brake lines on the inside of the frame.

Question is do block huggers suck inward towards the engine more so than ram horns?????

anybody know?

great site by the way.

Gasser300, most block hugger headers are a little tighter to the block than the rams horn manifolds, but the collectors can tend to be larger on the headers. At least that's been my experience. There are small diameter rams horn manifolds that I have not dealt with before though.

I would go with the headers and run a crossover pipe to even out each cyinder bank. This will help improve gas mileage, while also increasing torque and give you that hot rod sound. My problem with headers is I would never be able to keep the foot out of the accelerator...lol.

Latest posts

Back