Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsfyj

I started in September of 2011, implementing my ideas to build a Coupe of sorts from scratch. I started with some simple plans found on line using 20 feet of 1.5x3 rectangular tubing. I built it in 6 hrs for $49 bucks worth of steel. The bad news is My computer went south along with all my photos of the frame and the 1975 Mustang 2 that I wrestled out the front suspension and rear axle, as well as other pieces I could use down the road. However I fixed the Computer and now keep a CD of all my photos. It is now December 2011 and I have a rolling chassis with Engine and drive train. I plan on posting photos as I go when I find out how to post them here, It will take some time to rummage through all the photos to find the right ones in sequence to fit this on going story. My overall plan is to build the complete Coupe all from scratch all the framing members and the sheet metal etc. I will try to keep this build going in order that I preformed all the parts. This will be , by the way, a low cost operation as I have always done things. You wont see any chrome, or fancy car parts that I can do without. I cry each night that I have to buy the steel as I can't make that. Okay Ive set the stage that I am a cheap feller. Now I will look for some early photos and figure out how to post them...

I’m very interested in seeing how this is working out, been toying with the idea of making a coupe as well. This will either encourage me, or scare me off the idea. [P

We'd love to see pics of your project..best way is to start a photobucket account and upload your pics to that, but you can also upload directly to RRR..

Scratch built body was my plan in the beginning, but figured I would never finish it so I decided to go with a truck..I even started building a cad model of the sedan body I wanted to build..:D Thats is the frame I built for my truck

SEDAN.jpg

I started in September of 2011, implementing my ideas to build a Coupe of sorts from scratch. I started with some simple plans found on line using 20 feet of 1.5x3 rectangular tubing. I built it in 6 hrs for $49 bucks worth of steel. The bad news is My computer went south along with all my photos of the frame and the 1975 Mustang 2 that I wrestled out the front suspension and rear axle, as well as other pieces I could use down the road. However I fixed the Computer and now keep a CD of all my photos. It is now December 2011 and I have a rolling chassis with Engine and drive train. I plan on posting photos as I go when I find out how to post them here, It will take some time to rummage through all the photos to find the right ones in sequence to fit this on going story. My overall plan is to build the complete Coupe all from scratch all the framing members and the sheet metal etc. I will try to keep this build going in order that I preformed all the parts. This will be , by the way, a low cost operation as I have always done things. You wont see any chrome, or fancy car parts that I can do without. I cry each night that I have to buy the steel as I can't make that. Okay Ive set the stage that I am a cheap feller. Now I will look for some early photos and figure out how to post them...
More photos

Attachments

• HPIM4252.jpg
    HPIM4252.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM4253.jpg
    HPIM4253.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM4254.jpg
    HPIM4254.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts