seals and gaskets

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

Ok, seals and gaskets on chrome...................

Never really dressed up and engine much till now, so my question is

what sealant works good on chrome, say a chrome oil pan? I have all new main seals, and new pan gaskets, just wondering whats a good sealant to use in conjunction with.

Should I do a one piece seal?'

I HATE leaks with a passion!!!

thanks guys

I've yet to see many chrome pans not leak or seep..

I've seen guys use a vast array of extra sealants and such to make it seal up..... with some degree of sucess...but I think the biggest problem is that some people get the cheapy stuff...trans pans, oil pans, valve covers and such that are not made properly as for the mating surfaces and that alone is the real issue not the chrome...I prefer cork over those rubber gaskets for the most part but pan gaskets lately have been using those composite type that seem to work well.... as long as you make sure the edges are straight and flat, normal methods of sealing should work...flat and straight is the key words here.... hope that helps....

thanks,

been reading on a few chevy boards, the one piece gasket/seals seem to work good, as well permitex "the right stuff" so Im wondering if the two together will be a hit!

??

I'd be careful using anything on the seal / gasket itself

thanks,

been reading on a few chevy boards, the one piece gasket/seals seem to work good, as well permitex "the right stuff" so Im wondering if the two together will be a hit!

??

maybe the corners around the front and rear main cap areas...but sometimes extra goop causes the gasket to be pushed out.....clean, dry and gasket surfaces flat should work out fine....

On intake manifolds we use the side gaskets but toss the rubber end seals away and use a heavy bead of The Right Stuff. It really does a great job of sealing. I have also used it to make water pump and other gaskets.

If you are going to use a chrome pan, sand the gasket mating surface lightly to give it some tooth.

Don

When I'm putting a whole motor together I get one of these and use it liberally on the oil pan.

unnamed_zps9bf395d5.jpg

every engine I've used silicone on to create gaskets ends up leaking
Could be the atf or the marvels I run

But

Permatex aviation type (coal tar) and get rubber instead of cork gaskets

it will never leak

and you'll never get it off your hands

and you'll never get the motor back apart lol

Latest posts

Back