"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tilt steering column

I see the willys got a tilt column, thats something I should consider as my old age spare tire enlarges, kinda hard getting around with my buddy arther itis,I got a free flying lesson back in '93 when I was hit from behind by a '81 Lincoln Towncar,I was on a '65 Triumph Bonneville that I built from collected parts and only on the road for about two weeks. I'm lucky he hit me in my butt and I landed on my head, right in front of a perfect witness, an Erie cop.Still kinda hard to walk past an old Lincoln and not rub up against it tho' !

I'd skip the eye lids. The jeep front end is interesting enough as is.

Maybe tunnel the lights 1.5" and weld in a sleeve going from the grill to the headlight?

Yeah, I've been planning to tunnel them like you said....kinda like this

TshirtlightsLarge.jpg

Will tunnel them first and then see what the eyelids look like.

I vote no on the lids. Can I vote twice for no? Just my $.02

Sorry, one vote per person, besides the last time you voted it cost me another two days of cutting and welding on my cross member [;):rolleyes:
And by the way, after a few months of running around the neighborhood I've almost got the exhaust mashed up into those notches :D

gives it a girly girl type vibe.....sorry....JMHO.....:D

Gee Sarg, I wasn't gonna put any eye lashes on them:eek: But while we're on the girly thing check this out...

tshirtLarge.jpg

Had this shirt done in 1989! The color is a little off , at the time I was planning to do the truck in Mopar "Panther Pink" The truck is no longer going to be pink but I may revisit that split windshield [S

Looking GREAT Ray! I like the eyebrows....

Thanks Bell, looks like we are out voted at the moment but we'll see :D

Still Dreamin,

Ray

the last time you voted it cost me another two days of cutting and welding on my cross member [;):rolleyes:
And by the way, after a few months of running around the neighborhood I've almost got the exhaust mashed up into those notches :D

Haha! Sorry man! but it is coming out awesome either way. [P[P[P

i just got through reading though all the pages. man i wish i had your detemination and time to get one of mine built. my worst ofender is a 53 f100 i bought when i was 17 in 1987 totaly diasembled. worked on it for a while then work quit when life changed right after that. still own it and not one thing has been done exept relocating it a few years ago from my dads house to my new garage i built. well one day ill get one together. other then my 55

i just got through reading though all the pages. man i wish i had your detemination and time to get one of mine built.

Whoa, just noticed this thread is 42 pages long now......if you read the whole thing that shows determination right there ;) Now go get to work on that F-100 :D Oh and thanks for your interest in my build.

Well Ray I see you have been shaking a few builds out of the trees so I thought I would rattle your tree :D how them head light coming [P[P

Heh heh, like I told roddguy1, I'm just trying to draw attention away from my own lack of progress. My work has been crazy this winter with an out of town project that has an hour and a half commute then a ten hour day and an hour and a half back :( Plus I have a friend who winters in Florida and I do a project at his house every winter while he is gone (to make some 'Rat Money') and needless to say I'm way behind on that too........he's coming home the first week of March and I have his whole kitchen torn apart :eek: So if I survive these two projects maybe I'll get around to the headlights.

Wow! great build!

Can not wait to see the tunneled head lights!

[P

Thanks lef. Hey, noticed your location is Salton City, CA........are you talking 'The Salton Sea' ?? Saw a cool documentary on the Salton Sea a few years ago at our local 'micro theater'. Very interesting place.

Anxiously awaiting some free time,

Ray

Question

Hey Ray
You're not trying to get some sleep too? Are you? Well, see, that's your problem. Wastin" time....tsk, tsk. LOL

Just kiddin".
Lynn

Just read the entire thread and i must say i am pretty well amazed. I would have never ever thought anyone could make that kind of cab look good, but you did. I really liked the rattle sounds while driving up the driveway. Reminds me of my first trip down the drag strip with my 72 Chevy truck. It was a long bed that i cut a foot out of the frame to give it a 115" wheel base. Then put in a 800hp big block with 2 stages of nitrous for a dyno tested 1400hp. At the end of my first pass i shut the motor off and heard some the most awful clanking and banging sounds you can imagine. Just normal noises from the tires picking up loose stuff at the end of the track. Scared the crap out me.
Keep up the good work.

Glad U took Pictures

Geeze I'm exhausted! Gone over Ur life's work on this Willys ~:0) - the detail killed me! Woof! - I'm much too lazy to go that far on anything - plus - don't have the years on this one!

Great Story - U could make a "Coffee Table" book out of it all - brilliant idea that! ~:0)

Now I'm in such a warm and fuzzy mood - think I'll go out and have a look at the breaks on my 51 - thanks for this amazing thread - bewdy ~:0) VivaChas! [;)

Great Story - U could make a "Coffee Table" book out of it all - brilliant idea that! ~:0)

Thanks Chaz, that's a great idea.........Shutterfly and some others offer some awesome glossy picture books that can include whatever captions you like and everythng. :cool:

Great thread, great build! [P

Thanks man!

Well I'm slacking as usual lately due to an overloaded schedule so I'm just grasping at straws for a reason to post something [S I needed some room to work in the garage this weekend so I pulled the Willys out into the sun for the first time this year......

430firsttimeinthesunfor2012Large.jpg

Buzzed around the neighborhood a few times and then tried out my new Mapp Gas torch on the bed......

432agingthebedLarge.jpg

Five minute faux patina job :D

433torchedbedLarge.jpg

434torchedbedLarge.jpg

I'll need to get that fuel cell out of there before I can finish it though :eek:

Still looking for some free time,

Ray

Ray, I love this truck!!! I can't help but think how it would look with the original headlights and turn signals in it though... I think it would look AWESOME... JMO

Oh wow, the bed looks cool, I was thinking of something similar except low narrow boxed with fenders.
I made a bunch of plywood furniture a while back and gave it that rustic look with gas torch, nice touch.

Truck looks great.

Hey Ray, when did you install the super pro comp plywood racing bench I missed that one [cl[cl[cl

LOL, yeah I need to get some foam on that thing.........it's a little hard on the back.

Ray, I love this truck!!! I can't help but think how it would look with the original headlights and turn signals in it though... I think it would look AWESOME... JMO

Thanks Bell, I may actually put the turn signals back in the original location but they would be tunneled like the headlights.

Oh wow, the bed looks cool, I was thinking of something similar except low narrow boxed with fenders.
I made a bunch of plywood furniture a while back and gave it that rustic look with gas torch, nice touch.

Truck looks great.

Thanks Stacy! I'm enjoying your Bedford build too.

Latest posts

Back