shaken

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

ok I know someone out there had this happen to them I got the death wobble I first had my caster at 4degrees got a wobble at about 15mph now I have it set at 9 my wobble starts at 25 did I go to far back or what the heck happened ?

I think i got it figured out reset it to 7 degrees got up to 50 seems ok only time will tell as we all know these rats are never finished:D

Something is definitely wrong. As far as caster goes you were better off at 9 degrees. Check your toe setting. It should be toed in approximately 1/16 - 1/8". Check your wheelbase front to rear. Double check all bolts and connections. Make sure everything is properly greased. Set your tire pressure near max. Is the suspension traveling properly? New shocks installed on the proper angle? Spring shackles in the proper position? Lots of things it could be without seeing what you have. After checking , if everything else is correct you can always try a steering stabilizer. I have seen them work well when nothing else would...

Negative caster adds stability , positive caster adds more responsiveness , so 7 degrees should be good (negative ) . The way my instructor in school explained it to me was a tricycle and a chopper , the chopper has severe negative caster and is very stable at speed , unlike a tricycle that has little or no negative caster that turns very easy but it turns very fast therefore making it twitchy , anyway I hope your problem is solved .

I took it out today as I posted in the other thread and it seemed to do very well I did hit a chuck hole a small one and it did it a little but other than that I was pleased, maybe a panardbar?

Are you running a crossover type steering setup?

I run crossover steering with a 67 Camaro manual box, panhard bar, 30 psi in the tires (560-15 bias plys), 4* caster (top of kingpin leaning back), 1/8" toe...I've only had it up to 60 mph so far (waiting for spring to come and these roads around here to get cleaned of all the sand before I "push" the car much faster)... and it is very stabile up to that 60MPH..just haven't been over 60 yet!

Latest posts

Back