Shifter knob help.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorkChopMFMC

I have a plastic skull I would like to use as a shifter. The problem is that it is hollow and have now way to mount it. What can I use to fill it with and be able to drill and tap to mount it? Thanks for any help. PC

Is it clear or will any color filler be OK :confused:
Epoxy, fiberglass resin or even body filler should work :)
If you don't have any a body shop would probably help out :D

Jim

You can fill it with PC 7 or the liquid plastic resin you can pick up at many craft stores. I would place a metal screw insert before it sets. .

Attachments

• thread insert.jpg
    thread insert.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 7
What about JB Weld? Aren't you supposed to be able to drill and tap that stuff when it cures?

What about JB Weld? Aren't you supposed to be able to drill and tap that stuff when it cures?

Yes. From their own site...."Like metal, J-B WELD can be formed, drilled, ground, tapped, machined, filled, sanded, and painted".

All good ideas, fellas.

I wonder if some resins would eat the plastic skull? That would chew me off. :mad:

Another idea. How about taking a junkyard knob, trim it to fit in the skull, and set it in good old silicone?

put the skull in a bucket of wet sand packed in tightly... If the resin eats the plastic the sand will hold the shape there for you know have a mold made...

Latest posts

Back