Shorten a s-10 frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjestermd

I need to shorten a S-10 frame 4" to make wheelbase fit '48 ford p.u.. We are going to cut it under the cab section. What is the the best and strongest method of a cut and weld at the splice? Any pics out there too? I can also recieve e-mail at [email protected]
Thanks Guys!!

Instead of making a straight cut, make your cut so that it comes down a little, then goes horizontally then goes down. I don't have my camera home, so I can't draw you a picture and shoot a picture. Here, let me try it on the computer.

________________________________________________________________________________
I 4 I
I I______________
I 4 I
_________________________________________I I__________________________________

There, I think I finally got it. By cutting and welding it this way you get a longer, stronger weld.

Don

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Let me try again. :mad:

I I

I just remembered my Son's camera is at home, so I drew this up and shot a picture for you. You cut along the dotted lines and remove the sections with the X's and slide the frame back to close up the gaps.

Don

Attachments

• frame 005.jpg
    frame 005.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 47
The idea is to make the weld longer,so the stresses are spread out.

Isn't the stock frame 2 pieces ?
I think the front and back overlap.
That way the factory can make long or short wheelbase,from the same parts.

I would take a look at the stock welds in the side rails,
and see if it would be convenient to shorten it there.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not entirly sure about the 2 piece frame but that's the second time someone has mentioned it to me. I's hard to get a real good look at these things when they're lying in the dirt with no wheels at the junkyard. I was thinking the same thing as far as cutting it so I had the most weld surface and then adding a plate for extra strength. thanks again.

We are planning an S10 frame swap for under my Kid's '49 and he tells me they use the same frame for every wheelbase S10 and that you just slide the two halves in or out after cutting them loose and you can make up almost any wheelbase you need. I haven't been under one, but he has bagged a bunch of them in the past, so he probably knows what he is talking about.

Thought that might help you out.

Don

Latest posts

Back