Shorter leaf springs ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

I'm using an S-10 rolling frame for my project. I measured the existing leaf springs, they are 53" eye to eye. Can I relocate the shackles and mounts and use a shorter type of trailer springs ? :confused:
What kind of problems will I encounter ?
Thanks

you can use shorter springs...mounts can be bolted or welded on in the needed locations...measure twice-and then measure again (ya don't want to go down the road sideways b/c of a crooked rear axle-ya want it to be b/c of the horsepower!:D)
shorter springs may cause a rougher ride though, so ya need to be sure on the weight rating of the springs you plan on using......

Shouldn't be a problem but I think with the shorter spring you'll have a stiffer, harsher ride.

agreed , think about a car trailer,, bouncy,, but if ya know ya weight , you can use them, adjust for ride the best you can, i used a three leaf 2000lb car tailer spring on my front axle but ended up puting three more for the weight of the flat head, rides smooth on smooth ruff on ruff

Latest posts

Back