Should I chop my 56 Cadillac?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chop

chop about 3'' outta the roof and shorten her by removing about 18'' thru the rear doors, weld up the seams and make a 2 door outta it.

that would really be a one of a kind caddy:D

Later:cool:

chop about 3'' outta the roof and shorten her by removing about 18'' thru the rear doors, weld up the seams and make a 2 door outta it.

that would really be a one of a kind caddy

"One of a kind" because it would be AWFUL. Why on earth would you ever think of shortening a Cadillac? A two door conversion would be one thing, but taking length out of a car that is meant to be long would totally kill the proportions.

Speaking of proportions, a 2 or 3" chop would be good for this car. Any more and it will look like godzilla stepped on it. Keep the flow of the original lines.

If you want to chop it, do your research and go for it. A more door Cad isn't worth a whole lot, so it will make for good custom fodder...

"One of a kind" because it would be AWFUL. Why on earth would you ever think of shortening a Cadillac? A two door conversion would be one thing, but taking length out of a car that is meant to be long would totally kill the proportions.

Speaking of proportions, a 2 or 3" chop would be good for this car. Any more and it will look like godzilla stepped on it. Keep the flow of the original lines.

If you want to chop it, do your research and go for it. A more door Cad isn't worth a whole lot, so it will make for good custom fodder...

I thought he was going to say no to the chop, but I 100% agree with what B.E.D. said! Also, leave it a 4 and suicide the back doors. Do your homework on that glass for a chop.

Thanks Guys, good in put... And I feel the same way. Just don't wanna chop a rare car if it could have some potential money. Does anyone kno if it's a good find or just a good chop.... And suicide was my first intention... Oh and because it's a series 62 it's already shorter... I don't kno y they would wanna make a caddy shorter either .

seen a shorty

''I don't kno y they would wanna make a caddy shorter either.''

l seen a shorty caddy at a car show 1955-1957 body style and a 3'' chop and it looked really cool. that is where the idea came from.

it was a few years ago, so l don't have any pics:(

suicide

since it's shorter, the suicide rear doors would look great.

l plan on doing the same thing to my 1957 4 door. l got the rear door hinges off a 1964 lincoln to use on mine.

maybe you could find a car with rear suicide doors to adapt the hinges on for your'e car.

I have the chopper mentality, no rarity or beauty will be spared from the wrath of modification to fit my personality.
on other words- do whatever you want to it!

doors

here is a chevy 55 4 door l found, this is what l what l want to do to my 57 chevy.

is this what you are thinking:confused:

Attachments

• 55-4door suciuded.jpg
    55-4door suciuded.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 34
Not the best pic to work with but will give you an idea how it will look.

Attachments

• cad.jpg
    cad.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 28
  • cad 1.jpg
    cad 1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 29
  • cad 2.jpg
    cad 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
Hey thanKs snake!.. That was awesome!.. What about suicide the front doors and weld up the the back doors... I seen 1 pic on here tha was a sweet ride .. I'll see if I can find a link .
And skull.. That 55 is nice... My pop got a 55 pick up that looks like that... Kinda .. Not really ...it's cool

Of course.

That BlueEyeDevil hit the nail on the head IMHO regarding proportions. Having chopped a few curved-glass vehicles, I'd like to suggest cutting the windshield first on this one though. It would be much easier to then build the windshield frame to fit the glass. Glass doesn't bend so easily to fit your already chopped car... at least not the last time I tried. :rolleyes:

Having chopped a few curved-glass vehicles, I'd like to suggest cutting the windshield first on this one though. It would be much easier to then build the windshield frame to fit the glass. Glass doesn't bend so easily to fit your already chopped car... at least not the last time I tried.
Very good advice.

Latest posts

Back