Should I or shouldn't I?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inked Monkey

Tarzan's tatted best friend
The guy that gave me the two model A's told me tonight that his friend has a 37 chevy truck all original, running and driving that he'd get rid of for $1500. I guess he took it as payment for some sandblasting and it's just been taking up space in his shop for a couple of years. Is this something that I could just get and drive everyday or is it made out of wood that will fall apart? Also what motor came in these things? 216 maybe? What are some problem areas that I should look for? I'm gonna go look at it this weekend, but I wanted to get some info to take with me.

I would say take your camera this weekend and take lots of pics so we will bw able to help more.

We mainly just want to see pics.

I had the opportunity, a while back to buy one that ran, but I passed, it doesn' mean you should. The one I looked at the guy wanted 2500 for. But I was looking at changing out the motor, trans, front axle, and rear axle, to get it where I wanted. Then I realized I only wanted the cab, and for the money it was not a good deal for me. I also hated to see an orgianal truck cut up. It should go to a restorer because it was all there. Good luck on figuring this one out.

If it is in the condition you say, buy it. You can make money on it if nothing else. Trucks didn't have wood like the cars so much, it will be fine that way.

I've told this story before, but years ago I went to a boat dealer to buy a tire for my boat trailer. Inside his shop was an almost done '38 Chevy sedan that he had taken in on trade. It was a frame off, and everything was restored and painted, even the engine was rebuilt. It needed only paint and interior. I bought it for $ 1500.

I didn't have the heart to make a street rod out of it because someone had gone to such great lengths to restore it, but one day I packed up the kids and took a spin around the block. It was HORRIBLE to drive. It was slow, and noisy......mostly tranny whine. I just couldn't see me ever driving it so I took it to a car show/swap meet and sold it for $ 2000.

You might find out the same thing. These cars were great in their day, but by todays standards the brakes, power, and ride are not what you want on a day to day basis. But in the condition you quoted, you would make money on Ebay. A good cab alone will bring that kind of money.

Don

Cool! I'll go out there this weekend and see what it's like. As long as these things had a decent frame on them, I could always just change out the rearend and trans. That is if they had straight six's in them.

The guy told me that the whole thing had already been sandblasted, so I figured the body would be worth the price.

what kind of advice did you think you would get here? :p i say buy it too if it's in good shape and you have room. Sounds like you've got quite a few projects at this point.

Yeah, that's the problem. I, also have the problem in collecting projects, they all eventually get completed, but they take a while.

It's running and driving, but I'd still have to put some money into it, to make it a daily, so I passed for now. If he still has it next summer I might grab it.

Latest posts

Back