Shrinking disc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busman

Ordered myself a shrinking disc which showed up today. This has got to be the slickest tool I have ever bought. Decided I would try it out on an International cab we have. The roof had been stood on and had been wrinkled pretty good. We pushed the roof back out and hammered out the low spots. As the roof was, it was going to take at least quart of filler to smooth it out. After working with the shrinking disc for an hour or two the roof is smoothing out. With a little more work, most of the roof will be filler free. It has also removed any oil can issues. I dont think I can get it back to 100% new but it looks like it should eliminate most of the filler maybe just a really thin coat in the low spots that I cant get to with the hammer and dolly. If no one has tried this tool it is worth trying. I tried taking before and after shots but they dont give enough detail.

I made one out of an old stainless steel pot lid. The old ones are thicker. I had to put it on my lathe to cut down the lip but I guess there's other ways. I played around with it on my roof as well, seems to work pretty good, not really sure if I'm doing it right though:D.

I'll have to disagree though, the rivnut tool is the slickest:p.

Sean

busman,
Iv'e been thinking about buying one, even started a thread on another forum asking if anyone had used one and what they thought about it, it got good feedback. What brand is it, how much, and who did you buy it from?

They go in like pop rivets and I've been using them everywhere instead of having backing plates. Mine have ridges on them that bite in like a lock washer. I get a box of 100 for about $10(the good ones too). I have to thank Don for putting those in one of his posts while I was trying to figure out how to mount Zuess fasteners. Just don't buy the cheap mandrel, you'll probably just strip the threads on it.

Sean

Latest posts

Back