Side Jobs?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapperJoe

Anyone on here do anything to make money on the side? The reason I ask is I am an unemployed student, surviving on the GI Bill and my wife's salary (VERY emasculating). Anyone have any good ideas to make some extra cash? I have projects that need worked on and no money to do it!

SJ...there is no limit to what you can do....

it's limited to what you do well.....what type of things are you into that you enjoy and can do that will generate some cash??? Or, what type of work do you normally do and can that be something you can do at home?? Guess we'd need to know skills and abilities that you possess.....but the possibilities are endless.....kinda...:D

As an example....

I teach the legal portion of the CPL (Concealed Pistol License) class for a local instructor who does this class at his home....I charge by the student and can make 150 or more for 2 hours of work....just an example...there is other things also but this one generates good money....

I teach the legal portion of the CPL (Concealed Pistol License) class for a local instructor who does this class at his home....I charge by the student and can make 150 or more for 2 hours of work....just an example...there is other things also but this one generates good money....

if you are the one carrying the pistol, couldn't you get more?[ddd

if you are the one carrying the pistol, couldn't you get more?[ddd

LOL.

I was more just curious as to what others do. I have skills but am not good at recognizing them I guess. I have thought about shooting lessons or something like that, as I was a 3 time Expert in the Marine Corps Rifle Qual. Aside from that though... I have pretty amateurish skills as a fabricator. I am decent with woodworking. I can draw and sculpt, and use photo-editing software a bit. I don't know... I feel like I am trying to brag. I own a truck, which I was thinking of doing a bit of for-hire hauling. Any other ideas? Anything else members do on the side? Even if it is part-time doctor, it would be cool to hear how people fund their projects/pay their bills aside from normal income.

Not bragging....just fact....it is what it is...

LOL.

I was more just curious as to what others do. I have skills but am not good at recognizing them I guess. I have thought about shooting lessons or something like that, as I was a 3 time Expert in the Marine Corps Rifle Qual. Aside from that though... I have pretty amateurish skills as a fabricator. I am decent with woodworking. I can draw and sculpt, and use photo-editing software a bit. I don't know... I feel like I am trying to brag. I own a truck, which I was thinking of doing a bit of for-hire hauling. Any other ideas? Anything else members do on the side? Even if it is part-time doctor, it would be cool to hear how people fund their projects/pay their bills aside from normal income.

Maybe take on some rough carpentry or do some handy man type work for the relatives or neighbors?? Photo editing....enough of that goes on here, just doesn't pay well....LOL...the truck thing...gotta be careful about the liability issues and such.... I do some general auto repairs for friends and relatives, make a few "mad money" dollars from that....but I donate more than I make sometimes...times are hard and people don't always have the bucks to fix something so I do what I can to help them....the Lord has blessed me with a number of skills and the ability to work with my hands and my mind so I figure it was meant to help others as well.... for me money is not the motivating factor in what I do or don't do...seems the Lord has blessed me there too...:D Good luck with whatever you do....I'm sure that there is something out there for you....

Anyone on here do anything to make money on the side? The reason I ask is I am an unemployed student, surviving on the GI Bill and my wife's salary (VERY emasculating). Anyone have any good ideas to make some extra cash? I have projects that need worked on and no money to do it!

After I get done with CL rehab I'll be back at the grind cruising CL. I do a ton of trading to get the parts I need or I'll pick up something that I know some one else is going to need and sit on till they just have to have it. I start about a year ago with floating a grand, I did about 8 grand in trades last year. I am almost done with my second truck and I'm a couple hundred to the good. like all things takes time and effort.

After I get done with CL rehab I'll be back at the grind cruising CL. I do a ton of trading to get the parts I need or I'll pick up something that I know some one else is going to need and sit on till they just have to have it. I start about a year ago with floating a grand, I did about 8 grand in trades last year. I am almost done with my second truck and I'm a couple hundred to the good. like all things takes time and effort.

That is very interesting. I get on there on a decent basis, so maybe I will have to do that. I have a bunch of stuff lying around I could probably trade up for and such. How exactly do you manage to do it? Like can you give an example? Thanks!

Deliver Pizza's.......never thought of that....

we ve talked about this before -- my answer - deliver pizzas.
seriously.

Must say that has never come to my mind....but hey....what the heck...what do they pay??? Besides, wouldn't want to deprive some 17 year old kid of a job....:D But, you need to do what you need to do to pay the bills I guess...

You say you have a truck. What about looking for scrap metal and hauling it in. Old washers, dryers, just any kind of old metal. Look out in the country and just ask.

Stocker at Walmart. They give veterans a hiring preference and have part time variable hours for students. Not a lot of money but pretty good benefits and it is an honest job.

Delivering Pizzas = great idea. I love driving so I could handle this.

Scrap Metal = great idea as well, haha. I worked in a recycling center for 4 years and still know a bunch of guys there. Its hard to get that stuff around here without the normal scrap haulers getting ****ed. I had a good supply of cardboard for a while until the guy who usually picked it up caught me, and while i'm not afraid of him, he seems like the type to shoot me for doing that... haha. I may have to drive around and look for some. I try to pick up brass when I go shooting too. Don't get much, but that stuff adds up fast.

Stocker at Walmart = yet another great idea. I have an old friend that does that, so maybe I will have to talk to him about trying to get on there. Not to mention there are 3 Walmarts within 3 miles of where I live...

Thanks for all your suggestions!

You don't have to cut somebody else's grass to get scrap. Run an ad to remove dead appliances for free. Another possible source. Where I live, there's a "freecycle" site for the treehugger types. They offer up their unused items so they don't go to landfills. A friend of mine used to haunt the site and collected the metal stuff for scrap.

I used to help out at a buddy's rad shop on my days off from my regular job. I picked up parts and delivered rads to shops all over town. I liked it. All the parts guys knew my name, and I got snoop around the shops. If you BS enough and get to know those people, it comes in handy when you need stuff for yourself. (I still get dealer price on parts). It's like making money while you make money.

check with your local school district. most are looking for classified subs. i do custodian, campus supervise, even librayian at elementry middle and high school. here in so. cal the pays not bad.
just a thought, it works for me
good luck

I agree that the pizza gig is a good one and they make more than you realize. My Son Don did it for a few years when he was younger and a typical night was about a hundred bucks, between tips, salary and milage. He was 18 at the time and lots of his buddies with office type jobs weren't making that much a week.

You have to be careful what areas you deliver in though. Just on the news tonight a delivery guy was robbed, beaten, and stuffed in the trunk of his car, then it was wrecked. There are some areas where the pizza shops won't deliver after 5 or 6 pm.

Just a thought.

Don

That is very interesting. I get on there on a decent basis, so maybe I will have to do that. I have a bunch of stuff lying around I could probably trade up for and such. How exactly do you manage to do it? Like can you give an example? Thanks!

I have found the best place is the barter section. I put up a list of what I got and $ and make a list of the stuff I'm looking for. Also I have buddies that ask me to look out for parts for them, We will go in on a car. Pull the parts that will sell quick and scrap the rest (but never ever sent old tin to the pile).

Latest posts

Back