Slightly OT, '89 F150 ignition problem.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodag

My dad has an 89 F150. The other day he calls and says the truck wont start. The key turns to accessory just fine but when you turn to start, the key just flops over, no resistance, no start. But if I turn the key to the start position and cross the terminals on the solenoid, it starts right up.

I figured it was the ign. cylinder, so I replaced it. Not the problem, did the same thing as the original one. So I pulled out the ign. switch from the top of the column and replaced it. Again, not the problem, same thing happens. The linkage rod between the cylinder and the switch moves just fine when you turn the key.

So in the interest of temporarily fixing it enough for dad to drive it, I just was going to wire a bump switch to jump the poles on the solenoid. I wired in a 15A switch with 10g wire, and..... nothing happens except for the wire getting hot. What the hell, it'll start using a screwdriver across the solenoid, but not a switch?

I know Im probably overlooking a simple fix here, but a little help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Hodag

Which terminals did you connect the switch to? The switch should send power to the small terminal on the solenoid. If you try hooking a switch across the two large terminals, it will fry the switch, way too much draw for it to handle.

Latest posts

Back