sloppy jaloppy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, er, OK, don't know what to think.:confused: Looks like it would have been easier to just find a truck cab to start with, but I guess you use what ya got.[S

easy. . . . . nobody here is doing it the easier way. everybody on this forum is building a car. there isn't anything easy about that. some of us just pick our battles differently. I like vw's and I wanted a truck, a duallie truck, with a blown small block. so I'm building just that. a dualie vw truck with a sbc. a lot of guys bore holes through their frame rails for effect and some small amount of structural support. it's not the easy way. but it looks cool.

I'm definitely interested to see your progress as it comes along. Interesting machine.:cool: I've often thought of the "VW as a cab" plan, simply 'cause bugs seem to still be out there and somewhat cheap.:D

Keep us posted, we love pics. [P

Regards,
Shea:)

hey guy looks like fun.....I too have a VW bug in my shop its on the back burner for now while i build my truck. just thought I might add that on your frame where you made cuts and modifications it best to box those areas and fish plate the outside for added safety. just my 2 cents worth. have fun with your build ....Doug

I'm definitely interested to see your progress as it comes along. Interesting machine.:cool: I've often thought of the "VW as a cab" plan, simply 'cause bugs seem to still be out there and somewhat cheap.:D

Keep us posted, we love pics. [P

Regards,
Shea:)

that's the truth. i picked up a whole unfinished hackjob baja bug for a cool $300 that had some parts on it worth some money. then I sold off what I could, scrapped what I didn't need and came out on top. so they are out there.

hey guy looks like fun.....I too have a VW bug in my shop its on the back burner for now while i build my truck. just thought I might add that on your frame where you made cuts and modifications it best to box those areas and fish plate the outside for added safety. just my 2 cents worth. have fun with your build ....Doug

I plan to do just that. I just need to purchase the metal. going to sell some more project leftovers and do some welding work for some local jeep club guys to build up the capitol. I plan to buy enough to finish off the front axle and do the frame reinforcements.

on a side note; yours is exactly the kind of comment I, and I'm sure many others on this forum, appreciate greatly. so thank you.

thanks jmlcolorado and BIGGBREKFAST. I did get some garage time in today. the frame is on hold until I order more metal, so I'b moving back over to the cab. a lot of tedious welding. almost finished piecing together the back of the cab. just one more corner then on to the doors and front. slowly but surely. here's a progress pic.

Attachments

• 2012-07-07 17.02.52.jpg
    2012-07-07 17.02.52.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 40
easy. . . . . nobody here is doing it the easier way. everybody on this forum is building a car. there isn't anything easy about that. some of us just pick our battles differently. I like vw's and I wanted a truck, a duallie truck, with a blown small block. so I'm building just that. a dualie vw truck with a sbc. a lot of guys bore holes through their frame rails for effect and some small amount of structural support. it's not the easy way. but it looks cool.

Don't get me wrong, it will be cool when done, I just figured it would have been easier to just use a truck cab to start with. Lot less welding and fitting. I know there's not a flat panel anywhere on a Bug body, so it's a challenge to line up flat panels with all the other curves.
Maybe I'm a wuss, cause I'd never would have had the balls to start that project! I know I'd never been able to pull it off. Looks like you've done a good job so far.

I did quite a bit of research before I decided how to make the body lines go all the way around. turns out bug door skins and 54 chevy truck cab corners do the trick. the rest was just a lot of eyeball, measuring tape and patience. I will fully agree with you though. starting with a full cab would be easiest. but I was clearly dropped as a child. I keep my remaining bit of sanity by bouncing between the motor, frame and body.

I did quite a bit of research before I decided how to make the body lines go all the way around. turns out bug door skins and 54 chevy truck cab corners do the trick. the rest was just a lot of eyeball, measuring tape and patience. I will fully agree with you though. starting with a full cab would be easiest. but I was clearly dropped as a child. I keep my remaining bit of sanity by bouncing between the motor, frame and body.

I think the best answer to anyone who doesn't understand why.......is why not?! That's what I love about rats, is there are no rules! And you my friend, are breaking every single one of them :D
I think once you get it all together and running safety, you will have one HECK of a story :) a pioneer one might say :)
It seems like your on the right track to get this thing looking radicle and there is nothing wrong with that :)

One requirement however, keep posting pics! We are all waiting eager to see more [cl

Very cool. I like different. Are you leaving it a dually? What kind of grill shell do you use on a vw bug-truck?

I am leaving it dually. I want it to be a usable workhorse and I really like the look. as for the grille. I've seen grille shells done in so many ways and have a good idea for what I want to do. nothing concrete, but I want the grille to look mean, and to do that the 34 ford coupe grille with a kickout at the bottom is a good basis for my design. as I can't afford a 34 grille I will have to make my own version. all in due time though. I have a ton of work to do before I get to that point. the cab is coming together though.

Attachments

• 2012-07-14 18.25.12.jpg
    2012-07-14 18.25.12.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back