so far everyone told me to start a build thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishtyson

i got a 1931 model A frame. i just got my 9" ford rear with some ugly 15" rims that i will put smoothie hubcaps on. im picking up a for 302 motor next week. its torn down so i will be building it from the block. it has all the parts, but i need some advice as to what i should up grade. im going to start with cam kit but i need advice as to which set up would be best. same with intake and heads. i want pep in my step but im not looking to be 9 sec down 1/4 mile. any help or guidence in my build would be greatly apreciated.

Think about how heavy the car is that the motor came from. Now think about how light the car is you are putting it in. I think anything over an Edelbrock "performer" package is overkill.

I remember an article from a magazine years back where they took a boat of a Cadillac and ran it down the 1/4 mile. After each pass the did something to lighten it up. By the time it was down to the chassis and floor-pan it was running 11's.

Think about how heavy the car is that the motor came from. Now think about how light the car is you are putting it in. I think anything over an Edelbrock "performer" package is overkill.

I remember an article from a magazine years back where they took a boat of a Cadillac and ran it down the 1/4 mile. After each pass the did something to lighten it up. By the time it was down to the chassis and floor-pan it was running 11's.

I think the article you're talking about was from Hot Rod and was called PONTI-HACK. That was a good one. Good advice on the first part also

I think the article you're talking about was from Hot Rod and was called PONTI-HACK. That was a good one. Good advice on the first part also

The one I was thinking of was in Popular Hot Rodding. I got a subscription with my paper route money in the late 70's when the sickness hit. I don't think this car fever is ever gonna break.

Oh yeah, build threads need pictures. It's a rule. Trust me.

I'm going a similar route with my '31 A pickup. I found a '69 302 with a C4 for $600 which has a Performer RPM intake and a 650 Edelbrock carb. I was just going to throw a Comp cams Thumper cam kit in it, but the cam bearings came out in pieces so I'm now going through a full rebuild. Should end up with around 250 hp which should be about right for rapid cruzing in a 2000 lb rig.

Matt

thanks for the help and advice. my car is really going to be light. i will get pics up as soon as possible once i get my camera fixed (wife....kids.....and hi tech tools dont go well with each other)

The article was in HOT ROD Magazine around '86-'87 I believe. I was in High School at the time. The article was called "Caddy Hack" they destroyed a '71 Coupe Deville powered by a 500ci big block one panel at a time.

It didn't get into the 11's, but IIRC it hit the high 12's (12.98 or so) by the time they hit the floorboards and firewall. With cheaters on the back and NO weight, they ran out of traction before power...;)

The Caddy-In-Chevette article may have been in Popular Hot Rodding, or Car Craft or HOT ROD as well, can't remember for sure. Steve Magnante wrote/built (?) the unholy communion of cheap Chevette and heavy, cheap, powerful Caddy big block.[ddd Kinda like hot rodding "in the rough.";) The Chevette broke into the 11's.:D

Sorry to thread jack. I think an A-bone with a small block Ford would be a cool sight!:cool: Looking forward to pics as you make progress!

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back