So I got this problem and I need opinions.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
My new 37 Ford needs an engine.
Cost is a large consideration.
Rebuilt and perfect is NOT a requirement.
I will be driving it daily (local)

What engine would you use?

Attachments

• Picture 100 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 100 (Medium).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 36
I say keep it a Ford. I had a 429 bolted into my hotrod project and axed it when fuel prices went nuts. Now I am going with a 260 Ford and hopefully a T5. I got the little stickshift 63 fairlane donor car for peanuts.
Cars with 302/auto are cheap or free and that would make a good donor. I have to go get a running 79 F150 today that is a freeby. They quit driving it because the hood blew open and wiped out the windshield.
Now you have to remember about the closed driveline and anything different will have affect on all that. So maybe a good flathead and keep the stock drivetrain. You can still pick up cheap running engines if you are patient.

It hit me like a ton of bricks today.

I dont want to just bail and run a SBC.
Dont much like fords except flatheads and really big ohv ones. I dont have one and gas is a consideration.
Cad, Olds, Buick, Hemi:D -All cool but I still dont have one and gas prices.
I have an 8ba but it needs rebuilding. This is a consideration.

Then it hit me.

Rebuild the original V8-60 and use some cool speed parts.:D:D

The truck will remain original but still cool.
I would think it gets better gas milage than a large ohv motor.:confused:

The whole truck is so complete and original anyway, why not?

How about an opinion on this?

As long as the block isn't full of cracks. Many are unfortunately. I know a V8-60 expert so if you need any advice I can ask him for you. Also, you might find the truck has a 4.44 rear end. Back in my flathead drag racing days (1958-60), I found 4.44 rear ends in V8-60 powered cars. That would be a really deep gear on today's highways.

Yeah, DUH, :D
Sometimes the obvious is hard to see.

Sure Bob, I need all the help I can get. I have been doing searches and just cant yet find a lot of info and even less parts.

Its only one engine, cant be that hard or expensive, can it?:eek:

Its only one engine, cant be that hard or expensive, can it?:eek:

V8 60 parts are pretty expensive, and a small engine trying really hard will most likely use more fuel than a large engine not trying at all. It's your truck, but when somebody needs to power a vehicle cheap and fast, and then rule out the SBC and SBF, it's like shooting themselves in the foot

Well, I think you're both right.

So, then, what engine and why?

I would drive it about 25 miles a day.
Only an occasional light load.
I would like to increase its potental resale value.
Budget 1 year, $4K.

Is this reasonable?

If it were mine, I'd measure the width of the rearend, and start looking for cheap carbureted, RWD donor cars that run and drive. Buy the first cheap 4 door car that drives good and has the right rearend. Use the engine, trans, and rear (since they all came out of the same car, you know they work and will work together)and anything else you can. That can include the driveshaft, u joints, light bulbs, partial wiring harness, fuse block, steering column.....etc. All those little things that eat your budget before you know what happened.

It could be whatever your brand preference is, I happen to be a chevy fan, which is mostly because of performance versus price

My example, a 1956 chevy 4 door wagon (roller) for $500, a 1977 chevy Monte Carlo ( that I drove home) for $500, I used what I could out of the monte, and sold the rest for $200.

My end result was a running driving 1956 chevy that I had less than $2000 into.

56side.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't didcount the Chevy small block just yet. Sure everyone has one but they are the greatest motor ever made............It shouldn't be hard to find a good running small block for cheap then dress it up to look like a 283,327, 'vette valve covers, early two four intake and rams horn headers............Cost would be low.

Excessive HP!

Dog,
It also depends if u can live with 100-150 HP. The old Tripper's always gotta have excessive HP although with $4 gas the BBC plans 4 my Chevelle r on hold!!!

BoB

Engine Size

Are you sure it's a V8 60hp? They made two engines in 37. One was V8 60hp and the other was V8 85 hp. Easy way to tell the difference is spark plug size. The V8 60hp was 14mm plugs. The V8 85hp was 18mm plugs. To check rear end gear ratio look under middle of rear end. There should be two numbers stamped in case. Divide large number by smaller number to get ratio. I owned a Ford with a V8 60hp engine. It surprized me how well it ran. It was not a tire burner but very dependable engine. The only problem I had was trying to over heat. After a good radiator rodding out and new water pumps problem solved. They also get good gas mileage for a V8. Also if you decide to sell truck later. It would be worth more with original engine. Those old flatheads are just fun to have under the hood. Try one and see how you like it. If you don't selling that old engine would not be a problem. Brakes for 37 Ford are a bolt on change. From 39 to I believe 48 will fit.

Last edited:
It looks like a Ford 60 to me.:confused:
Am I mistaken?

I have the brakes that it would need.
I knew I was keeping them for something.

The windshield frame is rotton.
I bought one in real good shape yesterdsy.:eek: $$
I havnt even picked up the truck.:D

One cool thing is the hubcaps are all there.
They have a shiny center piece that has a V8 on it.

Attachments

• american idol apr 30 002 (Medium).jpg
    american idol apr 30 002 (Medium).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 8
Frame Check

Take a look at the frame just in front of back wheels. Where the frame starts to bend over rear axle. Those old frames have problems there. If the frame is good there you got a winner. That looks like a V8 60hp pull the heads and have some fun. Pictures and info as you build is required you know. Good luck and go get your hands dirty.

Latest posts

Back