So Im Kinda Bumbed....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think thats half my battle Im only 25 and have a baby soooo Im learning patience the hard way and Im the youngest in my family so yes I admit it Im also spoiled so all of this is a very hard lesson to learn.....

My biggest issue right now is not having a welder.....and trying to save for one now is almost impossible for me at this point if I had one id simply be done with the major stuff and drive it just to get it out of my system...

Great Advice

All great advice. I will offer my two cents worth. I live by the 'do the stuff that doesn't cost money' rule. And a lot of it gets done and really doesn't feel like a lot. I'm a white board guy - I have 4 in my shop - all four are covered in lists. If I'm looking for a feeling of accomplishment I build a huge list of things I need to work on. Need extra motivation - break them down into smaller tasks. Each task gets a big green check mark as soon as it's done. I've been known to put things on my list that are already done but hadn't made it to a list, then checked it off. It's nice to see 20 or 30 big green check marks at the end of a weekend.
For further motivation - reread some of the build threads on this forum. The talent and ability on this site is staggering and a great source of motivation for me.

- Mike

Hey Don, you said life gets easier as you get older? I sure hope so!!!!

Psycho - I like your whiteboard comments. I have done exactly the same thing - written stuff down that I've already finished just so I could check it off. It does give you a feeling of accomplishment.

As probably every builder / fabricator on this website can attest, the jobs always seem to take a lot longer than you thought and probably end up costing a lot more than you anticipated. I have found that I could probably buy the same car already finished for less than it's gonna cost to build. Hence one reason it takes so much longer - we probably ain't rich enough to make those $500 purchases everyday.....

As my boss says, sometimes you have to "embrace the suck"...... :p

This post reminds me how my room mate and I would eat dry Minute rice for two days before every payday, no butter or soya sauce, nothing:D. That's all we had. Some of the best times I ever had was back then when we didn't have a dime, we would get paid and celebrate with a big dinner and lots of beer only to be broke again soon.

It does get frustrating even when you have some money, I guess it's part of the fun and the reward. Keep at it, it'll get there.

Sean

Everyone on here speaks the truth. Personally, I can tell a long story about sacrificing time, money and comfort. '48 Chevy-driveable up to 45 MPH, on hold for time & $, '82 Jaguar-driveable, on hold for time, $ to upgrade with a 350 V8. My holdup has been a frame off restoration on a 2200 sq ft farmhouse. We are living in it now, after three long years of working on it. We actually lived in a mobile home on the acreage for a year and a half to save $ on rent, etc! Trailer life sucks, but without it we wouldn't have had as much time or $ to spend on the house.

Fortunately for me, my wife understands my passion for auto work. She saved up the money to buy my Jag...heck, she was the one who actually found it on the net! After all this time of working on a house, I can't wait to get back into a garage...woodwork and me don't get along!

One of the stresses from racing was that you HAD to make EVERY show, with a rat rod or other street car you don't HAVE to make it to any show, you just WANT to. I have a 3 yr old & a 1 yr old, my time with them is of the greatest value to me and my wife. Beg, borrow and steal tools like a welder to get whatever done you can. Just don't miss out on those first years with your baby, they cannot be replaced! The car will wait for you.

Any job worth doing is worth doing right. Take your time and cherish every opportunity you have to spend with your family-flesh and/or tin. We'll always be here to cheer you on!

I think thats half my battle Im only 25 and have a baby soooo Im learning patience the hard way and Im the youngest in my family so yes I admit it Im also spoiled so all of this is a very hard lesson to learn.....

My biggest issue right now is not having a welder.....and trying to save for one now is almost impossible for me at this point if I had one id simply be done with the major stuff and drive it just to get it out of my system...

ya i am right in that boat too i am 23 and have a 2 year old and one comming in march

i have had my hudson body for probbibly five months and all that i have done is get her home and clean out the inside

I'd have to say, alot of us face the same issues here. My 29 is a 23 yr long project that started when I was in high school. Between college, other projects I've done, gettin married, wastin alot of $ and time racing for 12 yrs, having 2 children, etc, my project is still being worked on. Certain things need to come first. I have to say with the kids gettin older and the racecar gone there is a little more time to get the rod done. I've said for the last 2 summers "gonna get her done this yr". Well I've said that for the last time cuz all I got left to do is paint and assembly. Im gonna make it a point to get it drivable so us as a family can enjoy trips to the drive in & cruizin. My boy is really into cars also and I hope one day he and I can build one together. Don't give up hope, there is always something to do to a car w/o spendin alot of $ and a hotrod is never finished completely. Happy Motoring:)

Latest posts

Back