so ? what/is a Rudy truck ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a style and balance of proportions that really nails it for me. Much more so that the long front end with the tires right behind the cab. The bed length is perfect and with the rear tires centered in the bed.

It is a style and balance of proportions that really nails it for me. Much more so that the long front end with the tires right behind the cab. The bed length is perfect and with the rear tires centered in the bed.

I agree, it's the proportions that make or break a build. A little too much on either end, and it'll never look right. Some make the front too long and the rear too short, others stick the nose too far in front of the tires, some chop and channel too much. It's all about the proportions, wheather it turns out looking right, or looking like a kids cartoon....

Ive seen a few I really like . so Im going to use the location looks of there build when I finish mine up .. Ive got the bed centered and it setting low like I want .. all I have left will be to figure out the front end part ..but I'll wait till I get the axle and I have all the parts to start on it .

I agree, it's the proportions that make or break a build. A little too much on either end, and it'll never look right. Some make the front too long and the rear too short, others stick the nose too far in front of the tires, some chop and channel too much. It's all about the proportions, wheather it turns out looking right, or looking like a kids cartoon....

That's why I stole the term "cartoon truck" and use it once in a while. It takes a lot of thought, and a fair bit of changing things to get "the look". I spent a great deal of effort on my rpu to get the balance I wanted and still didn't quite nail it. Due to the length of a small block Ford, I ended up with a couple more inches between the firewall and the grille (and actually the whole wheelbase) than I really like. I would also like to have the grill an inch lower but I would have to buy a custom radiator to get it any lower.

So, what wheelbase seems to lend to that natural balance we seek?

440shorty

I am sure that somebody has an exact length that they can tell you. But what works for an early Ford may not work for later model International or Chevy or whatever.
But I will echo what has been previously stated...
It's all about the proportions.
When I see a Hot Rod that I think looks good the only reason I would ask about the wheel length would be if I was to try to duplicate it.:eek::eek:
When something looks right. It looks right.
And you will know it when you build it.:D
Torchie.

I think the article says it's on 112". I don't see anything wrong with trying to duplicate the proportions of a popular truck but what works for a chopped 35 Ford may not work at all for a bubble roofed 39 International.

Latest posts

Back