So why does it take so long???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a retired body man fabricator, my last real project was a 39 Olds I street rodded. This was a driver, not a $100,000. trailer queen. It was very nice but still a driver. I collected parts for about 3 months and then dedicated 2 weeks to the build. I had the money necessary, around $7500 for everything. The body had minimal rust through. I rebuilt the motor, had the trans done, removed the nose, front clipped with an early nova suspension, installed a mid 70's rear,complete brake job frt/rr with lines, welded the rear fenders to the body, re radiused the wheel openings, installed motor,trans,complete wire job from rolls,did my first reupholstery job (came out nice) welded a 4 piece nose together, did all the bodywork, installed the glass. Stripped the shell to metal, acid etched one panel at a time by hand, did the patches and body work. painted black with flames and clear coated. All by myself with no help, I worked 12-16 hour days, 10 days straight to get it done....finished job looked great. I drove that car for 9 years without ever needing to touch up. It can be done. You just need focus and a plan. Section the work out and do it one section at a time. I know everyone isn't going to build a car in 10 days, but the process is the same...you need that plan and a little initiative....just think what it will be like when it's done....You can do it...don't lose hope!

why

I had the idea of building my car in 6 months, it took 3 years, I didn't have a game plan, i was winging it, that cost me a lot of time and fustration, and a few times I was ready to throw it in the truck for scrap, after 4 months I just walked out of the garage and didn't open the door for 6 months, then I went to a show and gained some steam, worked untill I got burnt out again, and quit again, I spent a lot of time on here talking to others about different things, got my game plan togeather and finished it, and guess what, it was worth all the hair pulling I did just to watch people break there necks trying to see what they just passed, I get stopped all the time and asked questions, I figured it out, for me it's all about the smile at the end of the day

Not trying to speak for anyone else, but it's been said already: Since this is the first car I am trying to build, I need to learn what I'm doing. I am in over my head, but my head is hard and I want to do it. I also needed a few tools so I got a big compressor, and nice welder (taught myself how to do it). I am also accumulating engine goodies and when I get closer I will have some machine shop work done. But the biggest drag on me is other chit around the house and yard and family and (insert the time killer of your choice here). So when I work on the old Willys, I keep the destination in mind, and relish the trip. When I get tired or need to figure something out, I pour a scotch on the rocks and just sit and think. That turns out to be therapy for me. (the scotch part--thinking is hard work!).
Just keep at it and enjoy what you are building. ;)

Read the whole thread and seems to be some consitant words of wisdom. I'm just starting my project, and more or less still in the collecting parts phase. I am trying to be realistic with my goals and am trying not to set a completion date at all. I joke with the Mrs that I want it done for our 2 year olds wedding, figure that gives me 20 years +/-. I am finding it hard to not run up my credit card bill and just order everything I need just to get it on the road that much faster, but its tempting never the less.

The only real goals I have set for myself are, do as much of the work myself as at all possible (I want to try my hand at upholestry even), try to lay a hand on the car every day. So either spend even 15 minutes if thats all I can squeeze in that day, or worse case I can't work on it I try to do some doodles of parts I need to build, or sketches how certain parts will go together. Then hopefully I have it worked out before I even lay a hand on any steel.

I know it'll come together eventually... but with a second one now on the way it may be longer again...

The only real goals I have set for myself are, do as much of the work myself as at all possible (I want to try my hand at upholestry even), try to lay a hand on the car every day. So either spend even 15 minutes if thats all I can squeeze in that day, or worse case I can't work on it I try to do some doodles of parts I need to build, or sketches how certain parts will go together. Then hopefully I have it worked out before I even lay a hand on any steel.
Have to agree here
Try and do something every day on the project
Even a beer in hand and a walk around or as mentioned sit and think about the next move will be 1 step closer
Ive just started my roadster pick up, due to years of collecting bits
Thats how the idea started

If it gets to much of a brain strain , walk away from it
Go do some work for the missus, then after that youll appreciate shed time [;)

Holey Cow guys

Looks like I am supposed to be enjoying this whole Rat Rodding thing huh??..I think I dont have the patience...I dont know how Henry Ford ever did it when he built his first car in his basement...now that man was the ultimate Rat Rodder...in my book at least...
Kinda sounds like I gotta take a break from it....maybe a different mind set would be helpful too....make it like a therapy...(a rusty therapy)...session...
I think what gets me is there is no end in sight..I get one piece to fit and then there are 15,000 more down the road that dont fit...
So I will keep grinding and cutting until I get this thing done...It will be nice to see it move under its own power...whenever that day comes

Thanks for all the insight...

MikeC...
(So how do you guys spend all this money and time and then go out and do burnouts??)

Mike
All in time. I have a 75 javelin I started 20 years ago, sold it 10 years ago to put food on the table. Got it back in December 2010 for $400.00 looks like the day I sold it minus paint. It will be a year before I can do anything to it. My 51 is going on a year and I would say It is going to be 5 months before fab work is done. My 49 was a 90 day build but was real simple just skin work. I work on a hand to mouth budget and sometimes just can't work on a thing. I saved up $600.00 and used this to buy anything I could get parts off of and sale what I could. I always recover my $600.00 first before I buy anything for my builds. A buddy lent me his spare welder when mine died (just did not have the money to replace it) half the time I'm building in the driveway because of the other truck is filling up my 1 car garage. All this use to get me down but like everyone will agree there are three great moments during the build. The day you fire the motor. The day it rolls out of the driveway on it's own power(completed or no. Or in my case 40% no gas pedel just a string to the carb. almost killed half the people on my street when the string got stuck) and the first drive down the highway(legal or other:eek:) you can't let it get you down. something I live by, It is not about what the man drives, It is about what drives the man.

All in time and good luck

Holey Cow guys

Looks like I am supposed to be enjoying this whole Rat Rodding thing huh??..I think I dont have the patience...I dont know how Henry Ford ever did it when he built his first car in his basement...now that man was the ultimate Rat Rodder...in my book at least...
Kinda sounds like I gotta take a break from it....maybe a different mind set would be helpful too....make it like a therapy...(a rusty therapy)...session...
I think what gets me is there is no end in sight..I get one piece to fit and then there are 15,000 more down the road that dont fit...
So I will keep grinding and cutting until I get this thing done...It will be nice to see it move under its own power...whenever that day comes

Thanks for all the insight...

MikeC...
(So how do you guys spend all this money and time and then go out and do burnouts??)
a while back i restored a 63kaiser willys cj5
700+ hours
and i am now finishing up a 27 chevy p/u rat rod (20 months so far)

since i dont like working on cars.
neither one of these were fun.
BUT
i simply adore owning and driving cool cars.
so i ram rod these projects until i get so po'ed i cant see straight.
then i take a week or so off.

the only part i actually enjoy is painting them.

it sounds like you need to just stop for a few days
go bowling or something.
personally i go shoot my big bore revolvers.[cl

oh yeah
figure out what your maximum budget is.
then double it.

my dirt cheap 27 build is at $9000 right now.....

Hi Everybody

So I tried what you guys said and I walked away from my nitemare for over 2 weeks (maybe 3 weeks not really sure)....I went out tonight to try to get the drivers side door to shut and then reopen with the latch/handle that came with the door....I learned what frustration is all about....I started at 6pm and knocked off at 8pm...door still wont open right..stock handle still wont work...I do have more rust on the floor than I had before...I even read the factory manual that came with the truck....I now have a 1953 Chevy truck door handle that spins rather nicely on the work bench (something broke on the stock casting I am sure)....So.... I am going to try and find another stock latch and handle assembly and then try to figure out how it all is supposed to work....
My hat is off to all you guys out there building these things....you have way more patience than me...like I keep telling myself...it will end at sometime....and it'll be worth it too...
Keep up the great builds...you guys keep me picking rust out of my eyes and my underwear too...
Thanks again for all the help....
MikeC

You are experiencing nothing different that we do

on a regular basis..... we just have more experience in dealing with it....in time, so will you....there is nothing that can't be fixed....replaced or thrown across the shop:eek:.....and then fixed or replaced....lol Hang in there my brother........

I own a bodyshop and repair and paint cars for a living yet I go home and put countless hours on a project that I have in the garage sometimes making no head way at all some nights and then think about why I was doing it....but in the process of fixing or fabricating that specific part I was not thinking of anything else,none of the current events of the day mattered...and if the build was starting to frustrate me and started turning into a job it was time to chill for a while and leave it or work on something else....I built a chopped Merc a few years back that took me 3 weeks to build short of 9 years....but I also done alot of other projects in between....some as little as 6 months ground up....dedication,experience,a plan and money in most cases is how some of these rides get built...dedication...you'll have to supply as well as a plan and also the money.....experience is everywhere on RRR and only a keyboard away, I am always surfin through the builds and see really cool ideas and tons of fabricating been done and lots with jaw dropping precission....study the builds,ask the questions,try things yourself,invite a knowledgeable buddy over for a beer or 6..you will gain the experience to GO FOR IT.....and when your done... the the pride knowing that you did it yourself is like none you can explain.:)

Latest posts

Back