So you have a choice..what is it.?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

My block came back,heads are ready and my Thumpr Cam has been ordered.I am going over in my head which intake I want but wanted to get feedback about what I might use.If anyone can throw some pros and cons on the choices PLEASE let me know.Its a 305 chevy motor,nothing special..30 over, 9 and 1/2 to one.Take a look..And no it wont be purple..I was just trying to find a pic of a low rise dual quad set-up.OR,should I just stick with a dual plane Performer intake.?In the last pic I have seen this intake and heard several things about it..wonder if anyone has heard something about it..?

Attachments

• IMG_1845 low rise intake.jpg
    IMG_1845 low rise intake.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 001-7 high rise.jpg
    001-7 high rise.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 16
  • BbB63fwBmkKGrHqUH-DsEqvH0vqjGBKuD2v8ldw_12.JPG
    BbB63fwBmkKGrHqUH-DsEqvH0vqjGBKuD2v8ldw_12.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 23
  • mikeys truck 001.jpg
    mikeys truck 001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
If it were me, I might choose to go with the high rise and single carb setup. I hear that it might be kinda hard to get 2 carbs to work as one. Never done it myself though.

Reguardless of what you decide, build it to suit yourself...It will be cool either way.

i def don't think ya need 2 x 4's on a mild 305 but that's my opinion......

if drivability is anything to consider you just can't beat a single 4 barrel-holley or edelbrock no more than 600-650 cfm for your engine as far as intakes are concerned the tunnel ram w/ 1 carb is cool looking but prob be expensive--performers are cheap and good for most milder engines...

as far as last pic--many use an adapter on a reg 4 barrel manifold and strombergs (i have no experience w/them personally) but they aren't cheap either...a good pair of strombergs will be high-- but do look cool!:D:cool:

Hey BadRATT. Consider..... too much fuel on a 305 might wash your cylinder walls. You could run 2 with only one workin' ( might look cooler.)

No question, a single 4 barrel that is matched to the cubic inches is the smoothest, best performing setup, especially on a dual plane aluminum intake. I had that setup on my 350 for a year before I changed to 2 x 2 Rochesters, and it was a flawless setup. I even got 30 mpg one time on the interstate.:eek: However, they also don't look as hot roddy as multiple carbs.

I ran 2 600cfm Edelbrocks on a lowriser intake on the 302 Ford in my 27 for about 7 years of daily driving. I didn't even have progressive linkage, they both came in together. It was fine, but yes it did run rich. I am putting the same setup back on it now that I am building a new motor for the car, and I think I will run progressive linkage this time.

On a 305 you could get away with two 500 cfm Edelbrocks with no problems.

Don

Prices and drivabilty..

The high rise with a single carb mounting is 125.00 dollars.That low rise one is 75.00 dollars...( I think because its purple..LMAO..).The high rise dual quad one is 150.00 dollars plus 25.00 dollars to ship it here.The carb set-up in the pic of that pick-up goes as follows..Vintage Speed has the adapter ( 4x2 ) for 70.00 dollars...I have 4 carbs sitting here for which to pick from BUT I will need to buy an intake to start with....And yes donsrods..multi-carbs are the ticket..LOVE the look..:D:D I am just hunting around right now and getting closer to having to make a choice..I am kinda leaning towards a 2 carb set-up..but I will see...Anymore input wont hurt....:D

Yep, 15 minutes in a blast cabinet and that purple one would look like new. I just cleaned up the 2 x 4 manifold for my 27 that way and it came out great.

Don

The high rise single carb set up would be my choice too! Sounds like something I'd like for myself. Thanks for the idea Dave! My cast scoop would look trick on a set up like that.

Thunder

And the winner is...for take choice.

Well this is what I have decided.Not too much carb I think,should run ok.I aint hauling lumber with this car..just cruzin...

Attachments

• 2x2-1 carb set up.jpg
    2x2-1 carb set up.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 14
I have the same setup currently on the 350 in my T. It doesn't run nearly as good as the single Edelbrock 600 I had on it, but it looks cool at least. In fairness I have not put a pressure regulator on the car and the rochester 2 barrels like 3.5 lbs max, so I am flooding the engine. I plan on doing that once I tear the motor down to see why number 7 cylinder suddenly developed zero compression. Plan to do that this weekend.:(

Don

tnewcarbsinstalled017.jpg

Latest posts

Back