Solid or absorber mounts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman

I have always questioned how you should mount a radiator. I have seen some mounted with solid mounts to the frame. I have always at the very least bolted them between nylon or rubber washers. I recently went to the Army Surplus store in our area, it is huge. I can browse there for hours. Anyway I found the coolest hard rubber biscuits. This gave me an idea for absorber mounts for mounting my radiator.

Attachments

• mounts 003.jpg
    mounts 003.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 60
  • mounts 004.jpg
    mounts 004.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
  • mounts 005.jpg
    mounts 005.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 66
I like having that little bit of give for a rad. mount. I have seen the tabs break off of them and that is no good. Those look pretty good to me.

I use small strips of rubber between the rad & frame & then slide a short section of bicycle inner tube over the tabs. Like Bonehead said... it gives a lil cushion for your tabs. :D

BoB

That certainly looks well mounted.

I have mine sat in a steel channel, which will have 1/4" rubber sheet in for the rad to sit on, and there are a couple of grommets on each side to hold it to the side stays. So, not rubber mounted per se, but it allows flex.

If you mount it solid and your chassis twists a little bit you can tear the rad apart, which is why the originals had that spring thing to hold them down but allow a little movement.

Latest posts

Back