sooo... I got a free SBC but its in LA and i am in new mexico...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yone187

how do i get over here on the cheap?
my girlfriends grandpa rebuilt an engine out of one of his business vans 15 years ago. his business since has been closed and he is retired. the engine is just chilling in his garage where it has been for the past 15 years. its mine now but i dont know how the heck i can get it back over here.

Hawthorne California to be exact. its about 12 hours from here and I dont really have a truck i can take down there.

If you have a trailer hitch on something, you and the girlfriend go visit grandpa. Rent a trailer there, (U Haul or the like) head for home. Drop the trailer at the local dealer. Done. You only tow a trailer one way, gas you save would likely pay for the trailer rent. :)

12 hours is nothing. Gas prices are sorta down and a sbc will fit in the back of a station wagon or small trailer. What you have to weigh is if that particular motor is worth the cost of going to get it. You are going to spend probably $400-$500 in gas and meals, and Chevy engines are like belly buttons.........everyone has one and you can probably find one in your backyard cheap.

But, I have been known to drive 12 hours for less. :eek:

Don

he really wants me to have it but i really dont know how to get it back. I was thinking of hoping on a cheap flight and renting a truck over there to be dropped off here.

he really wants me to have it but i really dont know how to get it back. I was thinking of hoping on a cheap flight and renting a truck over there to be dropped off here.

This is just my 2 cents.... but you are really going to be getting into as much financially getting there and back as you are going to have in picking up a SBC close to where you live and then doing some machining to get the motor started. It sounds like a wonderful deal if you were a bit closer but .... ? Do you have any idea what kind of shape this block is in since it's been sitting for 15 years? It could be that you will have to have it totally redone and then start building from scratch. I would look into picking one up around your area and putting the money into it that you would have originally spent in traveling to get the motor. Either way, keep us updated... I'm curious to know what you will end up doing. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back