Source for frame material?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with 455, 1/8 inch wall is ok. I only use 3/16 because I like to tap threads into it for line and cable clamps and the such, and that extra 1/16 inch gives more thread depth. But there is nothing wrong with 1/8 inch in that size tubing for most of the cars we build.

Don

I got the steel for my main rails from a surplus store. It was 2X5 pallet rack crossmembers. They didn't have any of the uprights so they sold it pretty cheap. $5.00 a piece and they were around 9' long. Not very heavy wall but the 5" height gives it plenty of strength.

I found

Where do you folks obtain your steel tubing materials to build your frames? Local steel supply house? On line? If on line, who do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Check out store closings. I found some store displays and fixtures that I could use. They just thought they were trash.

Most steel suppliers have what they call "drops." These are cut off pieces of various sized steel that are left over from other jobs. Some will let you dig through that stack and buy them at a reduced price. Our local steel supplier did that for years and we got some great deals. But then some idiot hurt himself while looking through the stack and sued them, so now no one is allowed to go into their shop except employees.:mad: One guy ruins it for everyone else who isn't sue happy.

See if your local steel supplier will let you do this as it does save some money.

Don

It's amazing how many small pieces of various lengths and thickness you will need . If your local steel/welding shop will let you pick , then i would say buy your one big item (2x3 or 2x4 frame material ) from him and chances you will more than recoup any extra money paid for this by him selling scraps for a low price . When I built my first rod I went to each place that i bought stuff from and took their pictures with my rod for my scrap book. They loved it and treated me more than fair when i went back a second time .

a lot of times you can buy bulk at auctions -- at least around here
sometimes we end up with a lot of stuff we dont really want
but we just save it and end up finding a use for it or scrap it ..

I use local steel places (I like using as many local companies as I can) or when my company places big TI and Aluminum orders they arrive on these huge steel frames (2x4 3/16 inch wall for the base and 1/8 for the up right parts) my boss says "take as much as you need just dont cut it up on th clock!!!"

Latest posts

Back