spilt wishbones

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52chevyrat

Hey guys I need some advice. I am about to mount my split wishbones and i don't know if i should use heim joints, if so should they be double shear. Should i use tie rod ends , if so don't they need a 7 degree tapered hole. Are there pros and cons to the two.
Thanks for any info

Get a Speedway catalog (Lincoln, Nebraska). They have weld in bungs for the ends of the wishbones and what they call shock eyes which provide a tapered hole for tie rod ends. I like tie rod ends for a traditional look on fenderless rods. And, they are greaseable. If you use Heim joints it is a very good idea to install them in double shear.

i already have a speedway catalog and there is so much in there i just didn't know what would be best for my application.
Thanks for the info
Jason

I've used tie rod ends and spherical rod ends both, and really see no difference at all, except appearance. The same rod ends are on my '27 that I installed 20 years ago, and I will probably use the same ones when I redo the car, they look like the day I put them on.

One thing, install a flat washer of a larger diameter than the socket on the rod end, in case it ever should fail. The washer will contain the rod end in that case. If it is any consequence, I have had tie rod ends come out of their sockets too, so that is the reason I say both are equally safe IMO.

Don

I prefer rod ends, but I like the industrial look. I plan to mount them on my care in double shear. I believe single shear should be avoided in most situations.

The biggest reason ball or Heim ends fail is because of improper installation. The bolt going through the ball should be at a 90 degree angle to the body of the heim. If the flats on the ball enter the race, the lining will wear out quickly causing excess clearences which in turn causes failure. With a sandwich mount it is nearly imposible to put the heim ball and bolt in missalignment. However in a case like a hairpin mount, it's not always possible to use that kind of mount. In a situation like that, if you use a double plate with a tube to accept the bolt, you will have a viable setup.

Ron

Latest posts

Back