spindle problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousedevil

what is the best way to get these sleeves off of these spindles? are they for disc brake conversion? i'm trying to use a set of f-1 brakes i got from a friend.
thanks,
dhd

Attachments

• 1fordspindle.jpg
    1fordspindle.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 33
Cold chisel running lengthways with a support on the otherside will split them in two and they come right off.
Yes, those are typically bearing spacers for converting to disk brakes. If you are trying to save the adaptors "sometimes" a gear puller works. Run a torch across them to heat them up and use a gear puller. If that doesn't work, the chisel is the way.

If you're really skilled with a cutting torch you can cut them off. I've seen my dad do it many times. I'd probably cut the spindle.

Try using a cut off wheel and cut most of the way through then use chisel to break them.

Last edited:
a cutting torch for my skill level will surely result in me looking for another set of spindles:D and if it wasn't for a grinder, i wouldn't let anyone look at my welds either. the cutting wheel and chisel sound like my best bet. i will be trying this later after i get some sleep.
thanks for the help,
dhd

If you're really skilled with a cutting torch you can cut them off. I've seen my dad do it many times. I'd probably cut the spindle.

Try using a cut off wheel and cut most of the way through then use chisel to break them.

I used to be able to slice the nut off a bolt,
without damaging the threads.

Sounded impossible,until our welding teacher showed us how,and I practiced.

I would grind or file a flat on each side,95% of the way through,
then split it with a chisel.

Try This

I've had good luck with a pipe wrench. If you can get the piece to turn it will be easier to remove. Put the pipe wrench on and give it couple turns. A little heat would help it along. I'm old oil field trash and a pipe wrench can do many things.

Latest posts

Back