steering box for cowl steering?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

international rat

Was walking around a local scrap yard today and came across this old Studebaker and looked in the engine compartment and saw what looked to be an ideal box for a cowl steering set up. It's a Saginaw box and even turns in the right direction! I went ahead and picked it up (couldn't beat the price) even though I've already bought a Chrysler box. Has anyone used one of these?

Attachments

• studebaker box.jpg
    studebaker box.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 145
If it turns the right way in this configuration you won't be able to just flip it over. Left will be right and vice-versa. Unless you have a lot of boating experience that could be a little awkward. :) It also will not oil properly if mounted upside down...

It turns the right way whenever the pitman arm is facing to left and as far as oiling right Studebaker already has it mounted on it's side so I'm just flipping it over to it's other side.

Cool old picture... Thats a dyslexics bad dream!! Took me a lot of twisting and finger turning to get through its motions.. Yeah--It'll turn right flipped.

The oiling should be OK if you keep it full, and the seals hold the oil in. Since it really wasn't ment to be that way though, I'd keep an eye on the level. I've flipped 2 boxes and both leak.

Be unique.. Its always fun to start listing off the donors for a rat, and 'Stude' would be a plus..

Have buddy that claims to have 36 different donors in his 36 Chevy PU.

PA41

Last edited:
i bet it uses grease like the carvair box, if you put oil in it you mite have a mess.

odie:)

Latest posts

Back