? Steering Box Location ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpy, what style of project is the ole Plymouth? I think the cowl steering looks good on a car that's somewhat race inspired. It might seem a bit out of place on a really refined car full of creature comforts. That's just my personal opinion.

I am seriously considering using cowl steering on my project that's coming up next. I'm on the fence about it. One thing though, I would make my box mounts beefier than the mounts on that outfit from Gas Alley.

I'll looking at something similar to this since my car shares the same cowl as this

IMG_7639Small.jpg

Ive got that issue of street rodder and that looks like a way cool setup. Biggest thing is to make sure that the box is mounted secure enough cuz all the stress of the steering goes through where it is mounted.

GT, The body he has Isn't really much, This is the only picture I have of it. and this was taken last year after he found it. He has more but I can't seem to find them. My son found this body In the woods and carried it home on his back, Its was pretty much missing the whole right side & cowl. It looks better now since he's been working on it slowly. And since you said its somewhat race inspired, that would fit the race car type theme he has in mind. Since it was an old stockcar.

Attachments

• 32plymouth_stockcar.jpg
    32plymouth_stockcar.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 84
I'll looking at something similar to this since my car shares the same cowl as this

IMG_7639Small.jpg

Cowl mounted steering boxes are prone to bump steer! This cars box is mounted "correctly" in that the drag link is parallel to the radius rod and is very close to the same length as the radius rod. Cross steering on a car with a straight axle will reduce the bump steer problem and is recommended for a car that would see lots of miles on the road. But of cors isn't as Kool lookin!:D

Also check for foot room. the box takes alot. If you are going to drive it alot you want to be comfortable.

We've kicked around the idea of doing a cowl steered one too but we really don't know what geometry is needed so it handles well and doesn't have any goofy characteristics. It also makes you have a longer than normal drag link and that could present some problems too, ie longer might mean less rigid.

I see lots of cars with them, so some of them must evidently work ok.

Don

GT, The body he has Isn't really much, This is the only picture I have of it. and this was taken last year after he found it. He has more but I can't seem to find them. My son found this body In the woods and carried it home on his back, Its was pretty much missing the whole right side & cowl. It looks better now since he's been working on it slowly. And since you said its somewhat race inspired, that would fit the race car type theme he has in mind. Since it was an old stockcar.

:eek:

He carried it out on his back!?!

Looks like lots of [;) in this coupe's future! What fortitude!

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back