steering box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

Well I was going to use my stock box and column,but I think my box is messed up. My question is what else can I use? hopefully something I can get from a wrecking yard for cheap. I would like to use the pitman arm I have too. Whatever I get I will have to shorten the column.

Like Bonehead said the F1 boxes are popular. I used a '40 Ford ('37-'48 are about the same) box and column on my '30 Model A couple and it worked out great.

whats wrong with your box? my guess is your pitman wont fit other boxes... id be surprised if it did

whats wrong with your box? my guess is your pitman wont fit other boxes... id be surprised if it did

It seems to be loose after I messed with it, I took the wheel off and then the box had alot of play in it. It may have been something I did. I will put up some pics of it later. Are they hard to shorten?

the slop (backlash) are generally adjustable on the boxes.. although I am sure it can get to a point where they are worn out...

I myself dont know the proper way to adjust the box.. its still on my learn how to do list.. maybe one of our more knowledgeable members can do a generic write up on adjusting steering boxes????

the slop (backlash) are generally adjustable on the boxes.. although I am sure it can get to a point where they are worn out...

I myself dont know the proper way to adjust the box.. its still on my learn how to do list.. maybe one of our more knowledgeable members can do a generic write up on adjusting steering boxes????

Thanks Corpo and maybe how to shorten one too?

Ok I think I figured it out,as I had the column in the vise I was turning the box and thats what was loosening it up, so I tightened it back up and it seems nice and tight again. Now I have two problems one is that the shaft is angled up in the stock location and the wheel is going to be like driving a bus. Second and most important is that my shaft that comes out of the box is only about 2" above where it connects at the front. Sorry I dont know all the names of these parts. Now my rod from the pitman arm to up front will be going up hill,I think thats a problem. The box cannot go any higher, can I cut the pitman arm down,well maybe not that was dumb. Any ideas? Sorry for the bad cell phone pics.

Attachments

• DSC00158[1].JPG
    DSC00158[1].JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00159[1] (2).JPG
    DSC00159[1] (2).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00162[1].JPG
    DSC00162[1].JPG
    65 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00160[1] (2).JPG
    DSC00160[1] (2).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00161[1] (2).JPG
    DSC00161[1] (2).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 39

There is a screw and lock nut at the opposite end of the output shaft on most boxes. The way Iv always adjusted them is to gentle move the steering shaft back and forth, but not hard enough to move the output shaft
(pitman arm). Loosen the lock nut and slowly tighten the center screw until the slack in the steering goes away(dont overtighten) while holding the center screw tighten the locking nut.Thats it steering slack is gone.

Attachments

• DSC00158[1].JPG
    DSC00158[1].JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 12
There is a screw and lock nut at the opposite end of the output shaft on most boxes. The way Iv always adjusted them is to gentle move the steering shaft back and forth, but not hard enough to move the output shaft
(pitman arm). Loosen the lock nut and slowly tighten the center screw until the slack in the steering goes away(dont overtighten) while holding the center screw tighten the locking nut.Thats it steering slack is gone.

Thanks for the info. Now can someone help me with the alingment issue? steering box to steering arm.

Latest posts

Back