Steering column questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I have a GM column I want to swap into the Lincoln. Looks like a straightforward swap, have to build a hanger bracket and get a U joint, no biggie. Question is, how do I get the old column out? It's one piece from the wheel to the box, as is the shaft. It also has shift linkage to further complicate things. I'm also unsure about the best way to get the wheel off since the shaft is hollow, last one I tried to get off with a puller only spread the hollow shaft and I never got the wheel off.

I'm thinking of just cutting the shaft and using the stock steering for now, with a GM power unit going in later on. I figure I could use a joint at the end of the column, then a connector shaft, then another joint to the old shaft. That way, when I do get a power box, I'll just need a new connector shaft and joint to hook it up. I'd really rather wait until I pull the engine to put in the power box, more room to work out any problems.

So, any suggestions? I don't want to destroy the old column if I can help it, cutting the shaft doesn't bother me.

You can use a puller just keep the nut at top of the threads on the column. You can use a washer for more support. To remove the column you have unbolt the box and linkages and slide it out the bottom.

I agree with leaving the nut on. I also have good success with pulling upwards on the wheel while some one taps the nutted shaft with a hammer. I have actually been able to do it myself.
Shifter bracket can be unscrewed from the colum as well. If you pull it out thru the bottom with the box still attached it is easier if the shift lever is off.
Are you going to use the original steering wheel? If not PM me as I may be interested in it.
Torchie.

I used a GM column on a similar style column. I took it out through the bottom then cut the shaft. Then I took it to a machine shop to drill and shape it to match the bottom of the GM column, it was cheap to do. I had the round shaft machined to have two flat sides (U shaped) and it mounted straight to the old steering box. I mounted the column on the bottom with exhaust tubing welded to a bracket that bolted in to be able to service later. I hope this helps.

I was afraid I'd have to drop it out the bottom.:( I was hoping I could just take the shifter off and bring the tube out from inside, leaving the shaft. If I'm going to have to drop it out anyway, I might as well just find a power box and just do it once. Anybody know if a Lincoln steering box has the same bolt pattern as a Ford of the same era? Speedway sells a bolt in bracket to adapt a Saginaw box to a Ford, Be nice if the Lincoln used the same holes.

My wiring harness works with a GM column, so until I swap it out, I can't have brake or turn signal lights since they go through the ts switch. The column does look a little bulky, but it's tilt and has the dimmer and key switch on it, so all the wiring could go to it. I might make a new top piece to cover the ts area, that's the worst bulky area.

Latest posts

Back