Steering Shaft--- Solid or Hollow?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallBlock Jimmy

I am building my steering "column" and I am using a few ujoints (to be drilled and roll-pinned and welded) and supports and Im ordering my steering shaft from speedway and I see they now sell the stuff in a hollow 0.120 wall DOM as well as the always available solid. I know this is a lame question but I cant decide which to get, can anyone think of a reason why one would be better than the other? I am leaning toward the hollow just for a bit easier cutting and drilling. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts and input, Thanks!:)

I really can't provide you with a strength diffferential from an engineering stand point, but but I only use solid steering shaft. That's one area where I don't take any chances. I won't be changing my position on that although the DOM may be fine. It's like Bonehead said; That's just me.

Most stock streering shafts were hollow i think. At least most of the early ford & chevys I've seen. I'd use the hollow one for the same reasons you were thinking about.

-Mike-

Mine is sorta solid... You know those stakes that are about two feet long and have a bunch of 1/8" holes cross drilled in them? You one goes on way then the other goes the other... I cut the pointy end off and used one of them.:D They are almost 3/4" thick, closer to 5/8" I guess. But It fit perfectly. Sorry no pics... But I am sure you get the idea.

OEM steering shafts in the past were hollow, solid or a combination. Make sure when you do build the shaft it can deflect or collapes in the unfortunate event of an accident.

I personally use solid shafts.I like the DD shafts.Easy to assemble.There is no welding needed.I dont like to skimp on the steering at any cost.Then as stated above its just me also.

Attachments

• 35 Chev Pics 060.jpg
    35 Chev Pics 060.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 25
I've used both and really see no difference. The steering column in my '27 is original Ford pickup, and it is hollow. I cut and rewelded it then sleeved it for strength over the weld. In my T I am using 3/4 inch solid steel from Speedway. Don's is solid 7/8 from Total Performance.

I guess if you want to err on the side of safety, solid might be better, but most oem shafts are hollow to pass the horn button down through, at least on older cars.

Don

I am now thinking of going with the double-D style (I would think most fellas would agree that double-Ds are the best;),hehehe). Anyway, the cost difference is about 50 or so bux and the welding, cutting, and drilling wont be needed, except for the hub end, and also I like the idea of being able to reuse or reconfigure the components if needed.

Although I do have some conduit laying around and I wouldnt even need any u-joints if I bend it just right,hehehe ;)........

Drive shafts are hollow.
If solid was better why wouldn't drive shafts be solid ???

You make a lot of sense there. I actually was thinking about this last night, and I sort of remember hearing something about tube being stronger than solid steel because of the design. Can't swear to it, but I think it is.

Don

Drive shafts are hollow.
If solid was better why wouldn't drive shafts be solid ???

A driveshaft spins at high RPM. A solid driveshaft would be too heavy. Some driveshafts are even made of carbon fiber.

I'm sure hollow steering shaft is fine. But I wouldn't base my choice soley on the the basis that the OEM's used it. I would imagine that cost of production carried at least some weight in the OEM's decisions.

Latest posts

Back