Stick with plan, or deviate?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

OK.. My plan was to build my truck as cheap as possible, but I may be getting a decent bonus at work..

If I get the bonus, should I spurge and pick up a few extras that I wanted to change later, (Wheels, new wiring harness, and heater are the 3 big things, that are en extra $800 that I would buy, that I don't need, or didn't plan on) or should I still just go as cheap as I can?

Thoughts?

were these changes a compromise or were the wheels and such "likes" and not needs? if it was a compromise then I would go for it, but if it was just some extra bling then no.

were these changes a compromise or were the wheels and such "likes" and not needs? if it was a compromise then I would go for it, but if it was just some extra bling then no.

None of the are "needs"

The wiring harness that I have now works, but there is a lot of extra wires, cut wires, and missing ends.. a new one would be a lot cleaner, and fix all that..

The wheels I have now are round but mismatched, I would just get a matching set of wheels

Heater.. that's just so I can use the truck more :D

To me this question is kind of a what color should I paint my ride. You need to build your ride the way you think it should be done. It's your coin, you need to choose. No matter what you decide to do there will always be others telling you what to do. :)

My suggestion would be

Splurge and get the heater...If you use it in the winter time, it could be considered a safety feature.

Wiring harness...that is always considered a safety feature in my book.

Just my 2 cents.

Easy 4 me!

Blue,
This is an easy 1 4 me! I always rewire all my rods... it only takes a small mistake or incident to lose everything u've worked 4! And I *always* go 4 a new set of wheels! Just fixin' 2 get a new set 4 my Chevelle. When I couldn't afford paint, interior or anything else... I always had mags on my cars! But it's not very cold here in H-town & have done w/o heaters many times. That's just me... it's u're $$$... u worked 4 it... u're choise!!!

BoB

For sure, I'd go with the heater and wiring harness. Those two are SO much easier to install during the build. Plus, they are the kind of things that once the vehicle is on the road, will you want to down it to do them later? On the wheels..., myself, I'd do them now because extra money is a rare commodity. They can be added at anytime with minimum hassle. This one is a judgement call that is really up to you.

I always plan my rides so I don't have to redo what I've already done. In the past, when I have skipped stages due to money, I have always regretted it. It took 3 years to build my 32' and never had to change a thing.

Recently, I had to rebuild the tri-power on my 31'. I didn't build the car and the carbs were all center carbs. I found numerous threads on converting the end carbs with parts I already had. Instead, I splurged and got a kit from HotRodCarbs. It was pricey, but now I couldn't be happier.

I'm the wrong person to ask this question. I always have something on my cars that I want to upgrade and if I can squeeze out the extra funds, I spend it on the cars. It makes me happy. I can tell you that if I had to pick something that you listed, I would upgrade the wiring. A nice wiring job or harness not only looks better and neater, it can eliminate plenty of gremlins down the road and make troubleshooting much easier.

I dont put heaters in mine but probly shoud.I dont drive mine when its cold very often anyways.But you can get a heater out of just about anything and make it work for cheep !
Wireing ,i always build my self [ussually about 30to 40 bucks,no big deal there].
But the wheels .thats my biggest soft spot !!!!!I actually have built a vehicle just so i cuold use some wheels i had on it before,pretty sad i know,but true.
I have to say wheels [just the word ''mag''gets my attention!!!}Its probly not the smartest thing to do but we do this for fun[at least i know i do] and thats the funnest part of the build to me .
And it defines the vehicle too ,just putting wheels on it would make me work harder on it,so i could drive it .
I dont see a problem to use $8oo to do all three things and probly have some left over too?

you dont need no stinking heater,hell it was 70 degrees x-mas day and 75 on new years,if it gets cold put on a coat,

go ahead and get the wheels(i know which ones he wants,i wanted them on my junk) just get the big ones for the rear:cool:

I am not going to tell you what to do, because in the end you will do what yo want. But IMO the biggest difference you can make on a ride is to change the tires and wheels. It just brings them around.

They have a saying about not knowing what you want to do. Just flip a coin high in the air. And when it is comming down you find your self saying, "go heads, go heads", then don't even look, just go make the change.

I'm the wrong person too because I will eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to buy some goodie for my project. :eek::eek::D

On the sensible side, I like to do things once. I have not only played with cars all my life, but have rebuilt and restored lots of boats over the years. I learned a long time ago that if I don't put every last screw in one of them before I start using it, I will NEVER get back to finishing it up. I end up having so much fun that I put up with missing or undone stuff forever.

The other thing is that your bonus will dribble away, $ 50 here, $ 20 there, and will be gone before you know it and nothing to show for it. So my vote is to get the stuff you need while you can.

(It's so much fun spending someone else's money!! :D)

Don

buy the wiring harness for sure 100%!

buy a junkyard heater for cheap

wheels are up to you, i personally have never been a "wheels and tires person", i can never justify the cost unless i want the wheels for a specific purpose other then look. Are there any expensive tools you've been eyeing but putting off becuase of cost? Something that would make your life easier during the build?

Latest posts

Back