Sticky lifter?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I was running my 200 ford six tonight and it all of a sudden started making a slight valve tick. Very minor but I can hear it and I hate valve ticks. These engines have non-adjustable rocker arms, so it's not that. The engine sat for 6 years prior to me getting it running a few months ago. Has good oil pressure (30psi at idle).

Is this a weak lifter or a stuck lifter? I read somewhere that running 50% tranny fluid and 50% oil will unstick lifters & valves. That true?

If it was quiet, then just started ticking, you likely just have a sticky lifter, not surprising if the engine sat for some time. A bit of crud could have come loose in an oil gallery and worked it's way to the lifter, plugging the inlet orfice. Usually a good run will clear it out, dunno if I'd go putting tranny fluid in tho.....there have been various addative products over the years that are supposed to clear up problems like this.
All the same, I'd pop the valve cover off and make sure a rocker hasn't come loose first, even non adjustable rocker bolts can loosen up.

If it was quiet, then just started ticking, you likely just have a sticky lifter, not surprising if the engine sat for some time. A bit of crud could have come loose in an oil gallery and worked it's way to the lifter, plugging the inlet orfice. Usually a good run will clear it out, dunno if I'd go putting tranny fluid in tho.....there have been various addative products over the years that are supposed to clear up problems like this.
All the same, I'd pop the valve cover off and make sure a rocker hasn't come loose first, even non adjustable rocker bolts can loosen up.

Also when the valve cover is off. Check and make sure all the rockers are getting oil.

Thanks. I'll try the oil treatment.

I had the valve cover off when I put in the distributor. The rockers are on a long shaft, so not really possible for just one to come loose. I spun the oil pump with a drill and all the rockers oozed oil. Probably just some old crud in the lifter that will hopefully work it's way out. Either way, I'm not going to lose a whole lot of sleep over it.:rolleyes:

As TiredIron told you....the oil treatment and some fresh oil will probably bring her back. If that still doesn't do it.....get some Lucas Oil stabilier, and add a little, if it still ticks, bleed a little oil off, add some more stabilizer. The motor has probabaly been run with heavier oil in it....its funny how some motors will become accustomed to certain oils and additives....the old Ford 6's would act like that when the old timers would use the regular oil with the STP oil treatment!
Do as Tired Iron said first, before you try the other....[P[;):cool:

Yea Tripper, gotta be careful with that stuff though....wash all that sludge down into the oilpan and stop up the screen....been there, done that on a vintage original drag car.....how was I supposed to know they didn't change their oil the way they were supposed to :rolleyes: , but folks used to dump sawdust into the oil to quieten a motor/ transmission down. Would use that Bardahl to flush it loose, along with 2 quarts of kerosene and 1 qt of oil....she'd rattle like a diesel but she'd be clean inside on motor teardown so we could see what we had to work with.... :D[P[;)

I saw this "motor flush" stuff at the parts house this eve...looked tempting but I envisioned who knows how many years of gunk breaking loose and clogging various oil ports and returns. Seemed way too aggressive. The warning on the back "DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE" with it in made me step back from the shelf!

Got some oil treatment that supposedly will unstick rings, valves & lifters. We shall see....

Yea, gotta be careful with some of that crap.....some of it is paint thinner with a fancy name in a new bottle. If you wanna flush your motor, drain out some and pour in some diesel and run it for a few minutes at idle. On a high milage motor, even THAT is dangerous, cause it will beak all that sludge loose. When doing that, always be prepared to pull the pan.
I've flushed them like that, ran them for 10 or 15 minutes idling, watching the pressure guage I had screwed into the sender hole. I'd shut her down once the pressure starts fluctuating....that means the screen is starting to stop up. Pulled the pan, cleaned everything really good, drop in a good Hi-Vol. pump and new pickup....button her up....change the filter....new Heavier oil than was used....and fire her up. Watch the pressure guage carefully....after she runs for 15 minutes.....your gonna want to change your oil and filter agian. That should've caught any crap floating around in the system.
Now, put in the same wt. oil and a new filter....she should be good.

When you remove all that sludge, your oil pressure is gonna drop noticeably. That varnish and sludge on the crank throws between the rods and on the mains keeps the pressure from bleeding off when the bearings get really sloppy. Ever pull a set of lifters outta their bores when the motor has about 200,000 miles on it and they didn't change their oil correctly??? Theres a ring of varnish around the bottom keeping the lifter from coming out....that helps keep the pressure up.
With the mess gone, and the clearence bleeding off pressure quickly, you'd need to go with a thicker oil to float the bearing and keep your pressure up. The new pump will help that too.

Hope all this helps.....they do have the additives that unstick rings and lifters.....and Bradahl makes such a goo....it works and is good. Just be careful anout adding any motor flushes....those can be deadly to your motor if your not careful and don't know how to use them.....:D[P[;)

oh....I have always used Riselone.....its a 'keep your motor clean' type additive. When you start off with a new motor....if you use it every other oil change....you'll always have a very clean motor. Thats what I do since I'm a pro-wrench....I hate varnish and sludge....makes me sick to my stomach....:eek:[P

So I was out driving this weekend, thinking to myself how happy I am with this little 200 and just then, like a light switch, got a huge lifter ticking/knocking as if the lifter totally collapsed. It was bad enough that it started missing on that cylinder.

I limped it home, knocking the hole way, shut it down. Later I came back out to listen to it again and when I fired it up, it was totally fine [S[S

So I don't know what to think. I wonder if my oil pump is weak...

Stupid thing did it again. Anytime I run it above 3k rpms for more than 10 seconds, that lifter siezes up and knocks like crazy. It won't unstick itself until the engine is fully cooled, and then its back to normal.

I installed an oil pressure gauge on the block and I'm getting 40psi at idle. My new theory is that lifter is a little oil-starved for whatever reason, and when running at high rpms, it gets overheated and seizes. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I doubt I'll do much about it, other than take it easy on it. Just wierd.

Been a while since I was into a ford motor...

but sounds to me that you have a lifter that is collapsing... might be crud but I'd replace it / them rather than keep trying to clean it out..can't remember if those have access covers for the lifters or not, I know the gm's did...probably easier and faster to just fix it.... JMHO

No access panel on a Ford :( so I'd have to pull the head. I'm sure it's a bad lifter or some kind of oil obstruction. It's one of those things that I'll put up with until I get so sick of it that I'll actually fix it.

I don't run it on the highway, mostly just cruise around at low speeds anyway.

Can't sneak them out the top through the oil galley?

No access panel on a Ford :( so I'd have to pull the head. I'm sure it's a bad lifter or some kind of oil obstruction. It's one of those things that I'll put up with until I get so sick of it that I'll actually fix it.

I don't run it on the highway, mostly just cruise around at low speeds anyway.

Now I know I'm getting old.... I know that there was some 6 bangers that you could use that old long handled "lifter tool" on to pull the lifter up and out of the head thru the oil return holes..... any room there??

Hmmm...well I have to say that I haven't actually checked into that. I'll check into it and see what the options are. Boy that would sure be nice.

Latest posts

Back