Still Making Progress On My T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Yeah, Dan just has to make a little panel to cover the bottom of the radiator and it can go to Brent's shop to be painted too. He predicts 3 weeks (they just got slammed :() but that will give us time to pretty much get both cars ready to just drop the bodies on and be ready to go.

Don bought the TP drop in upholstery kit, but it is a little more complicated than just dropping in, so he is going to have the upholstery shop down the street do the install. Me, I am running out of $$$$$, so I may have to put cardboard in there for my upholstery.:D Looks like I may be forced to go back to work, even though I retired early in July. This car building stuff sure can drain a savings account real quick. :eek:

Don

The "T" is lookin' real good. Almost makes me want to build one but my bald head would get sunburned :D The stance is perfect and I love the wheels and tires combo. You got a good eye Don.

Thanks GG. I also am bald, and can't remember when the last time was that my head wasn't peeling from sunburn!!! :eek::D It's also funny how hair protects your skull from bumps and scrapes........now if I get near anything I am putting a bandaid on my noggin. :D:D

Don

I rarely get angry and tend to be an optimistic, upbeat person. I've had heart attacks and strokes, so just being alive is a blessing. I tend to shake things off and try to think it could always be worse.

However, today I am really mad, and disappointed. :mad: Three weeks ago I took my T body and Don's T body to a friends bodyshop to have them both painted. We were not looking for cheap, just good, and he is a superb bodyman and painter, so I knew we would get a good job. He knew our deadline and at first said two weeks, but when I got there he said three. That was ok. He also quoted $ 1500 to $ 2000 per body, which was ok.

Hadn't heard anything, so today I went by (haven't been bothering him because I didn't want a rush job) and the bodies haven't been touched!! He was out, but I got him on his phone and he said he would try to get mine done this week, and Don's next week. Don and I talked it over and went there with our trailer and picked both bodies up and took them to a different shop that has an excellent reputation, and they quoted us the same price and will have mine done next week and Dons the week after.

This "Friend" of mine has been someone I worked with, and who I did a million favors over the years. When I was in the boat business I got him all his stuff at my cost and even delivered it to his door on the way home. I sold his boat for him on ebay and only charged him the listing fees, although I had to take the pictures, do the ad, answer questions, etc. I am very disappointed in the way I got treated and have written him off.

Sorry for the rant, but I am really PO'd.

Don

Don, these kinds of things are always a pain. We go through life treating people like we would like to be treated, then somebody Breaks the golden rule. It is not worth the worry and stress, just move on.

Don,
Man I hate to hear something like this. I also know that you don't get angry very often as well. Reguardless as to what happens, "Keep Your Heart Rate DOWN"...I won't speak for everyone here, but I like having you around. Just calm down and remember "It will all come out in the wash".

I'm sortta disappointed too, I was expecting to read your post and see a shiney painted body...No big deal....You know we are all patient around here and also know what kind of quality work you and your sons put out.

Just keep your cool and before you know it, you will have them both completed.

Did I mention keeping your heartrate down????????????

I feel bad for ya Don. I know what nice people you guys are. My guess is that you did the right thing by picking up your bodies and taking them to a different shop. Based on current performance, those bodies probably would not have been painted for another 6 weeks. Like the others said, try and relax. It'll work out.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the rant. I really felt he would do right by us. Dan and I took him to dinner about a month ago and laid out what we wanted and our deadline. He said two weeks tops. Dan had misgivings after the dinner and said he didn't think the guy was enthusiastic about doing it and that bothered him. I was the one who said it would be fine. WRONG !!!

I'm over it now, and honestly believe the second shop will do a better job. They have been around forever and have 5 good paint booths, and the entire place is spotless. I just have a good feeling about them doing our paint.

Thanks again for letting me vent. :):)

Don

I learned not to expect anything from anyone, including friends and family, because disappointment hurts the worst from them. Now, I just give what I feel liking giving and drop it at that.

My Mom needed a new car so I got the bright idea of getting her a new one. Talked to my brothers (2) and sister and they pledged $25 a month each. After I bought the car (brand new Toyota Corolla), never heard from any of them. When I bought her the 2nd new car, I didn't say anything to anyone. Wife got upset but I told her every family has one and I'm it. I take after my Mother.

I don't watch much TV, but I do like the court shows like Judge Judy, etc. It is so amazing how many cases revolve around someone doing some favor for someone else, and then they just walk away and refuse to repay them or whatever. People just don't honor their word anymore it seems.

Nice to hear that you were such a standup guy with respect to your Mom. You can sleep good at night because of that. :) :) :) :)

Don

steering?

How does it steer? I was looking at your picutres and noticed that the radius rod and your steering rod are way off. I thought they were supposed to be parallel (ie close enough). That way they would avoid bump steer... I was looking at your set up and was wondering how it handles? I also noticed that your tie rods sit way out in front, isn't there a Awkerman principle in setting up front ends? I am curious as to how you set all this up and have it work correctly. I am not looking for a fight here, looking to learn.
Thanks
hitman

How does it steer? I was looking at your picutres and noticed that the radius rod and your steering rod are way off. I thought they were supposed to be parallel (ie close enough). That way they would avoid bump steer... I was looking at your set up and was wondering how it handles? I also noticed that your tie rods sit way out in front, isn't there a Awkerman principle in setting up front ends? I am curious as to how you set all this up and have it work correctly. I am not looking for a fight here, looking to learn.
Thanks
hitman
Checkout the Oct 07' issue of Rod & Custom. Great article for setting up front ends. As long as the pivot points of an imaginary straight line of the drag link and radius rods intersect, its all right. Ideally, if you run them parallel, the pivot point of the drag link should be perpendicular to the pivot point of radius rods. Great reading and higly recommended.

I don't know how this one handles yet as it still isn't done, but I learned a long time ago if you listen to all the "experts" opinions, you would never build a car. In the car building world there is "ideal" and then there is "real world." There are a zillion hot rods running around with things that the experts say can't work, and yet they do.

As far as my draglink being way off, it isn't. If you look at the intersecting spots, they cross over each other and the drag link is only slightly behind that. The ackermann situation with the arms in front is something I am not thrilled about, but it was unavoidable as the car is so low and there is so much out front so that the tie rod couldn't go anywhere else.

If you go to any show you will see every configuration of geometry imaginable, and even some of the factory rods like Total Performance are nowhere near ideal. Below is a picture of my '27 that I drove pretty much daily for 7 years, and if you look at the angle of the steering draglink you would think it would bump steer............yet it handled like the proverbial sportscar.

Very legitimate questions though, thanks for asking.

Don

Attachments

• my 27 002.jpg
    my 27 002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 76
I am with Don on this one. I used a formula to set up the rear four link on my rock buggy. Throughout the formula the author keeps giving out numbers, and in the same breath, he says "or as close as you can get". By the time I got done I was way off, but man it works great.

On my hot rod, I ended up with the tie rod in front. I understand you can widen the tie rod and pull the tie rods closer to the tires, and fix the ackerman to a point. The ackerman problem seems to bother me mainly in parking, and U turns. At speed I am okay.

Bonehead, I suspect I am going to have some scrub as you describe while turning sharply. Even when I have pushed the car around the shop I notice some drag when the wheels are cocked all the way over. Do you notice abnormal tire wear also?

Just some of the little idiosyncracies we put up with to drive cool cars, huh? :D

Don

As far as tire wear goes, sure, but the tires are holding up well, since I suspect I drive it straight much more than I turn sharp. I think my Posi tends to push mine straight a little more.

Latest posts

Back