Stinkbug look, will it return?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This tool at my high-school had a gorgeous 65 Pontiac Lemans. (One of those silver spoon kids, Daddy's money, didn't know which way to turn a nut). Had it all jacked up like the rest of us. Of course you could see the shocks, but he did something wrong 'cuz it bounced like an Indian rubber ball.

Our parking lot had speed bumps. When we saw him pull thru, we laughed ourselves to tears. Boing, boing, boing, here comes Scotty. :D

I had a 63 Bonneville convertible that I ran 60 series tires and chrome rims on the back, had to jack up the back with airshocks to clear the fenderwells. One day both airshocks broke off at the studs and when I would stop at a redlight the back of the car would sit there and keep bouncing up and down. People crossing the street would point and laugh at this big old car bouncing up and down for minutes at a time. Kinda made me seasick. :D

Don

big a$$ 73 impala more door with hijackers aired all the way up. always had to readjust my head lights.:cool:

never again:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Part I liked was when the cop pull you over they would get there tape measure and check the height of your bumper to see if they fine you.

So Hot Rod calls it the "stink bug" look and now that's the correct term? never heard that and I lived through that trend (and many others).... we just called it "jacked up"......

In the latest HRM they did a "Rust-Oleum" update/detail on a '69 Satellite... one they bought for $16,500!!!!!! WTF????

I like the mag as a rule but these guys don't have a clue.....

we just called it "jacked up".....

Yea, that's what we always called it too, "jacked up". In the 90's (I think) the magazines all started referring to anything with a "rake" as having a stinkbug stance and started making fun of it. That has never really set well with me.

Put Pontiac wagon coils under my 65 goat...raised it way up so the L60 tires would clear. My buddy had his 64 fury way up in the rear and nose down. Ran into the back or I should say under the back end of a jacked up nova....end of fury!

I always figured it was to copy the funnycar rake.
images

Yea, that's what we always called it too, "jacked up". In the 90's (I think) the magazines all started referring to anything with a "rake" as having a stinkbug stance and started making fun of it. That has never really set well with me.

Yeah, "stinkbug" kinda rubs me too. :mad:

I always figured it was to copy the funnycar rake.

No doubt in my mind we were copying drag cars. How about pro stock?

sox20and20martin20cuda.jpg

grumpys_toyrear_view.jpg

Remember slapper bars? ^^^^^

GrumpyIX.jpg

Bob-Glidden-Pinto.jpg

Suddenly, I'm not embarrassed anymore. :D

Dr.C no doubt when I was doing it that was what I was copying!!!
Love those Grumpy Jenkins cars!!! I hadn't thought of that Glidden Pinto in years!!

DR. C

by today's standards, those old pro stock cars would be pro street cars :D

still, l'd love to blast around town in any one them :eek::eek:

Later:cool:

Latest posts

Back