Stock F1 Suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapperJoe

I have been considering swapping a stock f1 straight axle into a project, but have heard there is a lot of play/walking with that particular front end. Any truth to that? Any fixes for it? Its may be going into my 49 coronet which has an IFS but needs a lot of work. Would this stock suspension be strong enough to handle the weight of the car? I feel like it would, as the ford came with a flathead v8, and this is a straight 6. Any advice would be great.

I don't see why that axle would not support the weight... Its probably rated for more weight than you would think.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the "walking/play" in the front axle assembly? or steering or?

If you need any pics of the stock F1 suspension, let me know.

Think about it, the F1 axle is from a truck - it is rated to take more weight and abuse than a car like a 49 Coronet. If there is play in the F1 front end, it would be because it is also old and may have loose king pins, tie rod ends, spring bushings, etc.

Rebuild the king pins and go for it! I like the solid axle better for looks, and simplicity.

I hear all the time how rough a solid axle will ride in the front... All of my vehicles have solid front axles and ride great. I would rather drive my 2003 TJ Rubicon or 2003 Dodge diesel ram than my wife's Acura MDX.

The thing about handling is work out the steering geometry and you should not have any trouble.

gold03

It costs about 350 in parts to rebuild an entire f-1 front suspension, new king pins, leaf pins, u bolts, shackles, spring eye bushings, ect from lmc. I did all that and put new springs on and everything was nice and tight afterward.

Latest posts

Back