straight 6 engines

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70_boosted

how fun are these motors? i have plans for a 31 chevy, gonna run either a diesel if one comes available or build up a fun straight 6...have a holset hx35 that i wanna bolt up to one.

so question is are these easy to build? easy to find? easy to upgrade? etc...

6 cyl

Get a Chev 250 6 cyl there's alot you can do to them,put on a 194 for more CR
4 bbl carb,headers ,cam,get over or close to 250 hp.

engines

Deisels are great except they usually weigh alot more than a gasser & of course noisier too.So you'll need a beefier frame.
A cummins 4BT is a good motor in a light car you's probably get 30+ mpg

Years ago had a guy put a fork lift diesel 4cyl

in a 1980 chevy van....got 35 to 40 mpg and would do about 55 or 60mph depending on the head winds...lol....wasn't an easy install.....not sure what happened to it..[S but sounded a bit odd when it was running...

diesels are expensive as of now, and 4bt's are near impossible to find under 3000, im likin the idea of chevy 250, build it up cheap and mildly to handle that turbo and have fun, unless i can find a steal for a diesel! of course with the bigger power tq, requires stronger frame! thanks for all imput guys

its a chevy cab, kinda wanna keep this one linked together, unless those are proven easier and cheaper all around. i have the brand new refurbished holset, buying the 31 chevy friday, and now just finding the motor. the truck comes with the stock drivetrain, but that will be pulled out

6 Cylinders are cool.

You want to get older model 250.My work truck is 1982 and has a 250 with the molded in intake,it`s part of head .
Gets good mileage,but you could not change intake.I forget when chevy went to the 250 like mine.I am sure someone on here knows a lot about these engines.
I have also had a truck with Ford 300 6 cyl.Very good engines too.

buddy of mine said to go after the 60/70's 250, for the have the intake manifolds meant to use a 4 barrel, and the exhaust manifolds that can run a turbo, tho id just build my own

Latest posts

Back