Straight axle help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37cornbinder

Just picked up 52 chevy car, gonna make gasser. What did the guys use for straigh front axle back in the 60's before the days of speedway catalog when they built with what they could find? thanks guys,love this site.

...'47-'54 Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton pickups...alot of guy's even used early Ford passenger car I-beams with the buggy spring mounted on top the axle, and split the stock wishbone...

Maybe Speedway was around but my check book says no. I am also buiding 42 Diamond T coe, putting 454 behind cab,gonna put my cornbinder on the back.

I use either a 1960-67 Econoline or 1960`s G10 chevy van axles.They both work great.Both have the car bolt pattern.
We did have a good supply of those locally,but junkyard got sold and turned into scrap yard.Everything is gone here now.:(
They turned me onto the G10 axles after I bought all their econoline axles.
Parts are available theough rock auto for either axle and are cheap.
Good choice for gasser axle.

Maybe Speedway was around but my check book says no. I am also buiding 42 Diamond T coe, putting 454 behind cab,gonna put my cornbinder on the back.

Well weigh out what it will cost to rebuild the king pins, do brakes(upgrade to disc etc), split wishbones & mounts/ends, etc... might surprise you that you can get quite a bit from speedway for cheap for a full front axle setup...

I use either a 1960-67 Econoline or 1960`s G10 chevy van axles.They both work great.Both have the car bolt pattern.
We did have a good supply of those locally,but junkyard got sold and turned into scrap yard.Everything is gone here now.:(
They turned me onto the G10 axles after I bought all their econoline axles.
Parts are available theough rock auto for either axle and are cheap.
Good choice for gasser axle.

What is the measurements on the G10? Center of kingpin to center of kingpin and center of spring perch to center of spring perch

Latest posts

Back