straight frame or z the frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd gear

Ok heres the deal, I picked up a t- bucket project,its running a mustand 2 front susp. Thought about choppin it all off and running a straight axel.MY frame has a front z. can i run a straight axel with the z?? whats the benefit on a straight frame compared to a front z frame if any ,or the other way around.Is it just looks,ground clearence,weight factors,whatsthe difference?????

It all depends on how it was built!! Pics is the only way to get an idea of what you're talking about!!
As a general rule Z's are used to lower ride height, while maintaining as much interior room as possible!!

I think you are on the right track with the change to a beam axle on an open fendered "T". To simply answer your question, yes you can use a beam (or straight as you say) axle with a z'd frame, but like rainman said, some photos would be nice. Also like rainman said, z'd frame is to lower ride height.

I think you're putting the cart in front of the horse here. You need to post some better pictures of the front frame section of your car. In the ones you have shown I can't see a Z in it at all, so not sure what you are referring to. Take some pictures of your existing front frame and suspension - detailed shots. Remove the front wheels if you can - it will help. Post them on this thread and take a deep breath. Now relax. ;) Do your research, come up with a plan and stick to it. Like Gastrick said, you're on the right track with getting rid of the ugly stuff currently residing on the front of your car. We'll help where we can...

Thanks guys ,Ill get some good front end pics posted. Im not sure what the plan is for this car just yet,Im trying to find out what my options ARE,Then I will make a decision on witch way to go.A MAJOR factor will be $$$s.I want to use the tire and wheel combo/breaks(because its what I have to use!) so that MAY be a factor(maybe not),these are things I need help with.I will get good pics up asap!!! So then ,my horse will be in front of my cart!lol And again,THANKS!!!!

front suspinion pics.

Sorry it tookso long to get these pics up,Im in the middle of re-moding my house! I was fighting with the sun and shadows,but I think they will give ya an idea of what Im working with. Im really trying to stay low budget. Im open to ideas. I dont see alot of open wheel cars running coil over shocks like this,(seems alot of guys dont like the looks!) It dosent really bother me either way. To me a cool car is just that...a cool car.Its different..going across the grain.... thats what makes cars appeal to me I think,BUT if their is an economical way to improve the looks of the car Im ALWAYS lookin fer ideas and advice from those wiser!!!:)

Attachments

• front coilover 001.jpg
    front coilover 001.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 67
  • front coilover 002.jpg
    front coilover 002.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 65
  • front coilover 003.jpg
    front coilover 003.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 59
  • front coilover 004.jpg
    front coilover 004.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 53
  • front coilover 005.jpg
    front coilover 005.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 56
  • front coilover 006.jpg
    front coilover 006.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 45
  • front coilover 007.jpg
    front coilover 007.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 49
  • front coilover 008.jpg
    front coilover 008.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 40
I'd probably go ahead and keep the IFS. The connection to the frame is the biggest uglyness I see. The upper coil over mounts are kinda out there.
The one thing you'll need to do if you are going to run open wheel is move the front wheels farther out in front of the motor or it will look front heavy - unless you plan to run more of a speedster style. (hint)

Question.......

Sorry it tookso long to get these pics up,Im in the middle of re-moding my house! I was fighting with the sun and shadows,but I think they will give ya an idea of what Im working with. Im really trying to stay low budget. Im open to ideas. I dont see alot of open wheel cars running coil over shocks like this,(seems alot of guys dont like the looks!) It dosent really bother me either way. To me a cool car is just that...a cool car.Its different..going across the grain.... thats what makes cars appeal to me I think,BUT if their is an economical way to improve the looks of the car Im ALWAYS lookin fer ideas and advice from those wiser!!!:)

Fifth picture on top....is that upper C/over mount just what shows?? Is that going to be strong enough? Just a question...[S

Yeah Sarge, we discussed that in another post! It had a roll cage, and thats where it was cut. No way it would be strong enough like that!!

Yeah i was kinda thinking keeping it IFS,maybe tubular a- arms to slim it down a bit.I know its not traditional but it is what it is! maybe not so much t-bucket as roadster type car. Maybe leaning towards race inspired,or for lack of better words..industrail kinda look. As far as moving the front wheels out,something will have to be done for exaust clearance for the front of the headers fer sure. Maybe custom exaust,just not sure yet!Thanks for the input,its always appercieated!!

One thing 2nd Gear if you decide to keep the IFS you should, (in my opinion)
put a crossmember in it!! No way thats strong enough between the lower control arms!! It was most likely built that way to save weight for racing!!

That front end could be made to work, no doubt!! One other suggestion, if you don't have one get a Speedway catalogue and check out all the front end conponents!! It will be a good way for you to make you;re mind up!!

YES, I totally agree,its gonna need some work in this area FOR SURE! Im thinking tubular a-arms will clean up this area AND give me some more room to weld some mounts from the back of the frame and over to the top of the coil overs(kinda like the speedway shock/headlight mounts on an I-beam axel) just stronger!!!!! It might not be the best looking set up,but sometimes ya just gotta make the best of a bad situation.

YES, I totally agree,its gonna need some work in this area FOR SURE! Im thinking tubular a-arms will clean up this area AND give me some more room to weld some mounts from the back of the frame and over to the top of the coil overs(kinda like the speedway shock/headlight mounts on an I-beam axel) just stronger!!!!! It might not be the best looking set up,but sometimes ya just gotta make the best of a bad situation.

Honestly I'm not into IFS, but I think you can make it look pretty good!!
Tubular a-arms definately will help!! You thinking about pushing it forward, or leaving it where it is?
Could we get pics with the body, kind of a mock up?
Also do you understand what I mean about putting a crossmember in it?

Good Luck!!

Yeah I do have a speed way catalouge!!! Its already in the porcalin library!!lol Crossmember will be added! There was a solid bar across the front it appears,but they cut it out to make room for where the radiatior sits(above the tow hook set up)SOOO,Theres plenty a work ta be done!! THANKS agian rainman fer the solid opinion,I think ya see where Im at and kinda on the same page.I just thought before I got crazy and start chopin on the car someone could keep me from making a mistake and save me from making more work for myself!!!LOL

If ya look under the builds its under 350 sb bucket project,their are pics posted,Ill post them one this thread tonight if possible!!! crossmember? ....between the two frame rails ,I think we are talking about the same thing!!!

The speedsters are pretty cool ,but Im almost leaning toward a chopped 30s-40s truck cab with a shorty bed. I Saw a 47 ford truck,pretty solid roller for $900 but I just dont have the $$$s for it at this point,Got a couple a leads on other cabs,just havent got that far yet. ill get my drive line and suspension sorted then move on to body style,may use the bucket .....maybe not...too be continued!!!LOL[S

Latest posts

Back