Street/strip combo advice?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbuckrats

Does this combination sound like it will work? Doing some changes to my lo-dollar rat 57 to make it more radical. Here is a list of what I have and what I want to do:
-350 4-bolt 9:1 motor (lo-mileage stock)
-.467/.467 110 degree cam
-2400 rpm stall th400 tranny w/shift kit
-3:55 rear gears w/traction bars
-3250lb car
-longtube headers w/straight thru mufflers
-single plain high rise intake manifold
-fuel cell and trunk battery set-up
Not sure of carb yet possibly 650-750cfm holley. Any thoughts or recomendations are welcome. This car will see about 50/50 street-strip, but want to go as fast as possible for the low budjet I have, hopefully into the low 13's in th 1/4. Will be driven to the strip and raced. Traction might be a problem ( will deal with on as needed basis). Thanks for any help.

The list looks good. You should probably stay with a 650 or below carb and I would use a dual plane manifold instead of a single plane. Getting it into the low 13's will require more gear and some SERIOUS tuning, not saying it can't be done though....Good luck with your project...[cl..CR

Thanx for your response CR55. Why less carb and dual plain? I would think with the cam and stall speed I could build engine speed quicker.

With the compression ratio you're running you want to keep the carb small or else you run the risk of having to much carb, the thing most rodders suffer. A dual plane intake is better for street driving, it makes more power than a single plane. I figure you'll be doing way more streeting than racing.:D..CR

Seems my comp ratio is low for what I need. Dont want to tear into the bottom end of motor yet. What is the biggest cam I can run with 9:1 safely? I'm not worried about streetabilty too much, have other cars for that. This car is gonna be a "get in and rip-it hot rod".I was thinking thinner head gaskets so Icould bring up comp slightly. Have .040 gaskets now, maybe put in .028 gaskets? Thanx for replys.

Id say you can get a bigger cam. I had a similar setup with a 480-500 lift cam and it ran great.

Id go in the 390-411 gear range. RR

Get some decent heads. Look for a deal on craigslist or at swap meets. A set of World Sportsman II heads would be worth 40 hp.

Latest posts

Back