Stupid fuel filter question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCF68

Hey guys,
I just put in a new fuel filter in my 68 Impala and now its leaking. I put the spring and gasket in just as I took them out. It aslo seems like its idleing higher than normal too. The filter is on the carb and its leaking out pretty good. Not sure what I did wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Matt

It's real easy to cross thread those fittings. Pull it back out and check for damaged threads.:( Don't think changing the filter would affect the idle.

Being a 68 Impala, I'm guessing your using a QuadraJet of some sort. Check to see if the plastic gasket came off the large nut/housing the paper filter cartridge goes into. Seen it happen a few times. Sniper

You called it Fuzz. I unscrewed everything, and you were right, damaged threads. Looks like I'll be buying a new carb:( Anyone know where I can get one for a descent price?

Matt

Well, been thinking, not sure if I should replace the existing carb with another Rochester or if I should upgrade to an aftermarket. The aftermarkets aren't a whole lot more. What do you guys think?

Matt

Matt..The quick and easy thing to do is just replace it with a rebuilt quadrajet[find many carb rebuilders in Hemmings]. Qjets get good mileage and keeps it original, no adapter problems. But aftermarket carbs are good also, just have to adapt linkage and stuff. Guess it's your call.;)

Yeah, I think I'll probably just go with another quadrajet. They're cheap and I'll have and extra one for parts.

Matt

I remember once rebuilding a quadrajet and when I took it apart it had a self tapping fitting where the fuel filter goes and I believe they sell that fitting at Napa. Try them first before getting a new carb. 'tator

Its acutally the threads in the carb where that fitting screws in that got stripped out so I've got shards of metal in the carb.

Matt

Carb body softer than fitting!

Matt, tator has given good advice, the carb body is much softer than the fitting and will always pull threads, or strip out b4 the fitting will. You and your buddy's can help and pull the top of the carb open very carefully, try and keep the gasket from tearing, and clean out the area that is the fuel bowl of any metal shavings. Go to NAPA and ask one of the OLDER dudes behind the counter about the self tapping fitting. If you have the green, now is the time to get a rebuild kit and give the old quad some new life. Follow the directions exactly, and triple check you do not have any fuel leaks, dont want you having a summer car-beque, be safe and good luck with your ride, Torque.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back