Stupid "One wire" alternator question.......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Farm

Ol school snake charmer!
So, yes I have a stupid question:eek: I'd like to get a working alternator on my Willys and was thinking about having the local guy to make me a one wire. My stupid question is, where does that one wire go? Does it just go the the hot post on the battery or does it go down to the hot wire on the starter?? or :confused: Hate to ask the local starter guy cause I have to see him all the time :eek::D

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Either! It just needs to have a direct line so to speak to the battery. I usually run it to the battery,

Beercan

Its usually closer to hook it to the starter sol but either will work. Make sure its at least 10ga wire or bigger.

The "one wire" is connected to the output stud of the alternator. The stud is wired direct to the battery positive and is hot all the time. The wire can be as small as 20 ga. wire, because all it does is provide power and sensing to the regulator and is not an output.

And it has to be a one wire alternator. I bought one once that said it was a 1 wire but wasn't. I had my fav starter/alt shop fix it for $35. I always run it to the battery... that way if there's a prob u're not having to deal with a connection on the starter!

BoB

Maybe this will help

Attachments

• delco_wiring_both.jpg
    delco_wiring_both.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 106
  • imagesCA1OM5AG.jpg
    imagesCA1OM5AG.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Delco_alternator_wiring_and_12V_conversion.jpg
    Delco_alternator_wiring_and_12V_conversion.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 106
The "one wire" is connected to the output stud of the alternator. The stud is wired direct to the battery positive and is hot all the time. The wire can be as small as 20 ga. wire, because all it does is provide power and sensing to the regulator and is not an output.

A true "one wire" eliminates the sensing and exiter wires(#1-#2).So the only wire used is the "big" lug on the back which is the input and output for the alt.The sense and exite are internal and is why the alt has to be reved up to make it exite and start charging.So a #10 ga or bigger is recommended.

content_221.jpg

I've always hooked the stud and the red wire from the plug in to the battery. Is this a good or bad idea? I've never had a problem that I'm aware of.

I always run it to the battery... that way if there's a prob u're not having to deal with a connection on the starter!

BoB

Like Tripper said, I always run mine to the battery because access to the starter can be a hassle out on the open road!

Zipper

Those Delco alternators are junk, no matter how many wires. I run the Ford 3G on everything nowdays. Yeah it takes 2 wires (not rocket science, one hot and one to the ign switch) A much better design, brushes and reg. removed from the back without disassembly and they do 95 amps at idle. Plus I can get all them I want for $10 each at the junkyard.

The ones you want come of V6 Taurus, some vans and Mustangs too I guess. Most of the ones from V8s, and 4.1 V6s bolt down with bolts that go sideways through the case.
The regulator has a plug with 3 small wires and the hot lead is held on with a nut.

Here's the one you want
http://alternatorparts.com/02970_F.JPG

Here's the other style

http://alternatorparts.com/FORD3GS.JPG

You can see there are 2 sizes. I have the large frame on my rpu becuase it's what I had. I think they are 120 amp.

Yup. I have a double groove on the rpu and run in just the outside groove because that's what lined up. I took it off an older Ford. I had to put a small spacer behind the pulley so it didn't rub the case.

Latest posts

Back