suicide doors

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blademan

anybody got any advice on this, or how to's havent been able to find anything on the subject, but i like them, Thanks, Tracy

We've done a couple, a VW bug and an S10. Some people use some sort of stock hinges and modify them and some buy hinges made for this purpose, that is what we have done. Suicide Doors makes some nice hinge kits that are never simply a bolt on, but that can be modified to work well.

The key is to get the rear section of the door jam strong enough to support the door. Normally the car builders make the front of the jam strong enough to do that job, but the back only acts as a latch point. We used box tubing to build in inner structure to reinforce this area and also give us a bolting spot for the new hinges to go.

Another consideration is that you have to find perfect locations for the hinges so that they are in the same plane. If you are off they will bind and not swing right or the door will sag when opened. We got the top hinge temporarily positioned then ran a round rod through it and positioned the bottom hinge in the same plane. Even at that you have to play around to make sure you have chosen the right spots. We actually took the time to build a jig to position the two hinges identical on both sides of the car.

For latches we used Bear Claws and also used the sliding safety bolts as an extra measure of securing the doors when underway. They didn't get the name "suicide doors" without good reason!!! :eek:

Lastly, you will want to cosmetically dress up both front and rear jams to look like they were intended to be like that. You will need to fill in the old hinge pockets in the front and create a new latch pocket. In the rear you will need to fill in the latch pocket and create new hinge pockets.

Gotta tell you it is a very time consuming job to do it right. You are essentially reengineering the entire car door system and need to check and recheck clearances and fit as you go.

Don

I've suiceded doors on a few different body styles, including an 88 chevy pick up. I used 55 to 57 chevy car hinges, usually found them pretty cheap on ebay. Don't think I ever paid more than $20.00 for a set of four.

You mean take perfectly good working doors and make them open backwards? Forgive me for being dense but why?

Because it is just one more custom touch that adds some coolness to a car and shows that the builder went one additional step in the build. Same could be said for chopping or rounding hood corners, etc. Serve no practical purpose other than to make the car a little different and cooler.

Don

easier

You mean take perfectly good working doors and make them open backwards? Forgive me for being dense but why?

I have a friend who has a chopped truck, i have noitced that getting out of a truck that has the doors open suicide is easier. maybe it is just becuase I am fat LOL

pablo

Blademan; If you come across any info on putting the suicide hinges on be sure to share it. I just ordered my hinges and bear claws. should be here on monday. Just something else to do in the spring. After I chop the top. :D

Latest posts

Back