suicide spring behind panhard????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick41Willys

I've been searching and getting mixed signals. I have a suicide spring behind 4" drop axle. I'm running a vega box cross steer set up. Do I need a panhard bar or not. Got some different views from my search. If so how is it mounted for a suicide set up? Thanxs Mick

Vega boxes set up in the standard way should have a panhard bar. The cross steer pushes the axle over as it steers. I'll find you a picture.

One solution is to make one side of the spring mounted solidly to the batwing........don't use a shackle on that side. I think Speedway sells a version for spring over axle installations, they call them something like a "dead perch." It would be easy to make up a similar mount out of flat stock so it would bolt or weld to the batwing, drop down a little to simulate the drop of the shackle angle, and then have a long bolt going through the mount and the spring.

The spring would not swing on a shackle on that side, and it sort of turns the spring into a panhard or locator to keep the axle from moving right to left when you turn the wheels. Not quite as effective as a true panhard, but it is a means to an end, and certainly better than no control in a cross steer car.

Don

Latest posts

Back