Suicide spring length

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponchotom89

OK I think I already know the answer to this question. Is it MANDATORY to use a buggy spring short enough that the end shackles set at a 45 deg. angle? The reason I ask is I`m trying to use the original 37 Ford spring behind the front axle by attaching it to the split wishbones.The shackles end up vertical because it is 40" long. Splitting the wishbones and attaching the ends to the frame make the inside edge (attachment points)40" also.I suspect this would allow the front of the car to "wander".Would installing a pan hard bar solve this? Or are there other problems this set up would cause?

The stock '37 spring is way too long to use behind split wishbones. The shackles must be at 45 degrees UNDER LOAD. They will be close to horizontal without engine weight. The panhard would not be a solution because not only is the car "swinging" on the shackles, they will not move enough to allow the spring to flex through it's full range of motion. The spring will constantly bottom out and bind. Gotta get a shorter spring. Not a big deal though...

Thanks Devil, thats what I was wondering about. I knew the preferred method would be a shorter spring but wasn`t sure why.I will have to have a spring madeup special because I dont think there`s a manufactured spring the length I`ll need.:(

OK now I`m a bit confused. Today I went out and removed my original 37 frt.spring to get measurements for a different spring. As I removed it, it sprung to 37" eye to eye.When it`s loaded it measures 40" eye to eye. I then set the shackles horizontal and measured between them and got 361/2.Speedway says that is the way to determine the spring length.What am I missing?:confused:

Yes I think your right. It already has a lot of leaves in it 7 or 8 if I remember correctly.here`s some pictures of it. first one is unloaded 2nd one is loaded. Hope ya can see ok they`re a little dark.:eek:

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 52
Let me find a better unloaded one. That first one doesn`t have the shackle attached.Cant tell if this one is loaded or not.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 41
Well checking back in my build photos, according to the sequence of all the pix, the last one is not loaded.:rolleyes:

Apparently my spring is weak, when I reassembled it and dropped the weight of the front of the car on it,it flattened right out to 40".I counted 10 leaves on it.Surely 10 leaves should be able to hold it.Would a new and shorter spring do the job?[S

Apparently my spring is weak, when I reassembled it and dropped the weight of the front of the car on it,it flattened right out to 40".I counted 10 leaves on it.Surely 10 leaves should be able to hold it.Would a new and shorter spring do the job?[S

If I remember correctly 9 or 10 is about the stock count is, sounds like you're spring is worn out!! If there's a spring shop local to you, maybe you could have them look at it, and give you a rate!!
You could re-arch it, but that might screw you're ride height up!!
Without seeing it, I would recommend finding another spring!!
Sorry I couldn't help more, good luck!!

Thanks Rainman,You think it`s worn out? I suppose they could lose their tension over time. It is the original stock spring with 10 leaves. One would suspect it would have sufficient strength to hold a big block caddy mill[S

Speedway tbucket

Thats whats on mine an it only has 3 or 4 leaves. Around here it was about the same price as a rusted out one from eBay and you know it's not shot. I only have a 2.3 and a stripped down body 2x4 frame so it's no caddy

Latest posts

Back